Elisabeta

Elisabeta

"Thank you!" Katrina says and crushes me with a hug after I set her down inside the castle. "I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't shown up!"

I frown,

"I thought you loved him?" I ask, she seems confused now too.

"Why would you think that?" She asks.

"Because you're still here." I explain, it's obvious enough. Her brow relaxes and she answers,

"I didn't mean to be. I only came back because I had to make a delivery." Her eyes grow wide as if she's said something that she shouldn't have.

"A delivery?" I ask, hoping that she'll elaborate.

"Um... yeah. Did anyone ordering anything from Van Balan Bait and Tackle?" She asks. And then it hits me, she's the one I've been emailing! I'd known her name was Katrina, but I'd never guessed it would be her!

"It's you?" I ask, still unable to believe it, and that I am her long removed grandmother. She nods and I give her another hug as the door to the castle opens and we are joined in the kitchen.

Dracula and Daciana are holding hands, but I'm still not convinced.

"Wait." I command. "I have something to tell everyone." Daciana and Dracula pause in the doorway and Katrina sits completely still. "This girl," I gesture to Katrina, "is my great great great great great great great great great great granddaughter." The room is filled with silence as they consider my news.

"You were taken that day in the woods?" Katrina asks, tears in her eyes, I nod. "I can't believe it." She wraps me in another hug and I wonder how I hadn't seen it, she had my eyes. When she pulls away her eyes are on Dracula, "Wait, so that makes you-" her voice stops and her face twists into a look of utter disgust, she covers her mouth with her hand.

Her look is mirrored on him,

"Your step grandfather." He says it quietly as if unwilling to admit it.

"You have to let me go." She begs. "I can't-" her voice stops again and Dracula laughs,

"Of course of course you're free to go. That's what we came over here to tell you." He smiles, but Katrina's look of horror remains plastered to her face. "You too, Elisabeta."

I hadn't expected that. So what about my plan now?

"Can I come out now?" Vera asks from the other room, I'd forgotten about her.

"Yes!" I call and she slowly walks in. I reach my arms out and she comes to sit on my lap.

"Oh, Katrina, I'd almost forgotten," Dracula says, reaching into his pocket. Katrina looked scared. "Your ring." He hands her a small gold ring and she jumps up to take it, careful not to touch his fingers. She slides it onto her ring finger and gazes at it gleefully.

"I guess everyone's happy now." I smile and squeeze Vera. Dracula and Daciana gaze lovingly at each other, and Katrina continues to beam at her ring.

"The sun is about to rise." Daciana warns.

"You're more than welcome to stay here until night if you'd like." Dracula offers me.

"That won't be necessary." I smile.

"Well, we'll be turning in then," Dracula says, "and Katrina, I truly am sorry, and I hope that you'll be happy." Katrina manages a small smile in return.

"Thank you." She mumbles.

Dracula and Daciana leave the room,

"You can use my car to get home." I offer and I walk her outside, towing Vera behind me. I give her my keys and another hug, "I can't believe I got to meet you."

"Me either." She says, I can tell she's sincere but the events of the night have obviously shaken her. "Are you still going to kill them?" She asks quietly.

"And ruin their renewed happiness? I couldn't." I smile. "But listen, Katrina, I need you to do something for me."

"Anything." She promises.

"Take Vera." I command, she begins to protest but I press on. "I can't take care of her, and I know that you will. Please." She purses her lips and nods. I bend down to see Vera, "You're going to live with her now, do you understand?"

"I don't want to." She protests and starts to cry.

"But she'll take very good care of you, and I promise you'll be very happy." I give her a hug as she nods an agreement. Katrina reaches her hand out and Vera grabs it.

I give Katrina one last hug after she's buckled Vera in the car. I smile and wave as she drives away and disappears into the horizon.

I give a deep, satisfied sigh as I feel the sun for the the first time in three hundred years.

And then, I am no more.