Dracula

Dracula

When I reached home I shifted into my human form. I walk to the castle and revel in the silence, my wives are not home. It makes little difference to me, seeing as my mind is filled with one woman only.

Katrina. The way I felt about her was different than the way I felt when I met Daciana and Elisabeta. They were objects of lust. I wanted them as mere diversions. And I want Katrina for something more. I want her for her temperament, for her thoughts and ideals. I want to talk with her. I simply want to be with her.

This presents me with a problem. I am thinking too much. When I chose Daciana and Elisabeta as my mates I saw them and took them. The fact that I was able to walk away from Katrina makes her a special case. I know that I want her for more than amusement, but if not a mate, I'm not sure what I want her as.

That's not to say that I'm not physically attracted to her, she is still a beautiful woman. But for the first time in my new existence I want a woman for something else.

I know that I want to see her again, but going back to the convenience store tonight is out if the question. I walk down to my chamber, no longer feeling the awkward stiffness of shifting.

I call out to her subconscious with my mind, but she is not there. I must wait for her to fall asleep. Having been alive as long as I have, I have developed an extraordinary ability to wait. And I do. Until she falls asleep.

***

I steal her subconscious from it's normal path and place it into a world I've created for our encounter.

I see her looking in the mirror. The clock pops up and then the door. These are all elements that her mind has created, my handiwork is the thick mist surrounding us. A door appears and I approach it and knock with quick solid raps.

She opens it slowly, and upon seeing me she is neither impressed or disappointed. I walk into the little room.

She gazes up at me and I am overcome with a thick warm feeling. It occurs to me that she sees this as nothing more than a dream and I reach out to her.

Her skin is soft and I feel the blood coursing through her. I pull her into my chest and feel her warmth there. She looks up at me with clear unquestioning eyes. Her lips are parted slightly, almost subconsciously.

I gently crane my neck and her breath catches and eyes close. I swallow the lump in my throat before cautiously meeting her lips. She sighs when I pull away. Not wanting to let go, I stroke her cheek,

"Beautiful." I whisper, afraid of ending the moment. But I see that I have. She stiffens up and pulls out of my embrace to look at the ground. And then I realize that she is silently disagreeing with me. I guide her face up with my fingers.

Remembering her mirror I lead her to it and show her herself. She looks calm and then confused. Then I notice that I'm standing in front of the mirror. Even in dreams some rules apply. I panic as I feel the dream state forcing me into feeding from her recognition of what I am.

"What's wrong?" She asks and reaches out to me. I long for her touch, but know that if I feel it I will drain her.

"Don't worry." I try to speak gently but as I do I feel my fangs come in. Her face twists into a look of terror and she backs away from me.

The neckline of her dress showcases her neck and I can see the color of blood rushing up and down it. I imagine how it would taste. Like red wine. I think of how it would feel to have just a drink.

I stop myself.

"I'm not going to hurt you." I promise her, but as I say it I feel my predator instincts kicking into gear and I lunge for her throat.

***

I have to break the dream state there for fear of actually hurting her. I curse myself for ever invading her dreams, certain that she must be terrified.

I want to see her in person and convince her that I am not what I seemed in the dream. Even though I am.

I feel dawn approaching and waste no time climbing into my coffin and falling asleep.