Chapter Twenty: Cabin

Allison drove on the empty motor-way, rain splattered on the window screen as we kept on driving

Allison drove on the empty motor-way, rain splattered on the window screen as we kept on driving. The car was filled with silence from us both, as we didn't speak, as we didn't even look at one another. We were sisters, but we had secrets that we've kept from one another, and I have a huge one festering in my heart, but I didn't want to say anything because we've got enough on our plates.

"What was it like being pregnant and having Claire?" I asked, breaking the silence in the car, as Allison knitted her eyebrows together and looked at me for a moment.

"Where's this coming from?" Allison asked, her eyes going back to the road as she was confused on why I asked.

"Just forget it," I replied to her snottily as this was a tender issue for me.

"No, I was just wondering," Allison replied quickly, not wanting to dismiss my question. "Finding out that I was pregnant was amazing, and the months that followed. Days were hard but others were magically," Allison began, her eyes flicked between myself and the road. "When it was my time, it hurt as birth does, but when she was born and heard her first cry... It was amazing," Allison spoke with so much love but my heart hurt, and my eyes swelled with tears. I couldn't even hold them back as I was so emotional, the tears roamed down my cheeks freely. "Gwen? What's wrong?" Allison asks in worry as she noticed myself crying.

I remained silent as I use my hands to part my hair in the front, as it was still shoulder length and straight as it lost it's curls over the days

I remained silent as I use my hands to part my hair in the front, as it was still shoulder length and straight as it lost it's curls over the days. Tears kept flowing down my cheeks as I couldn't seem to stop crying.

"Gwen?!" Allison raised her voice at me as she was worried and wanted to know what was wrong.

"I'm sorry," I sobbed out the words, trying to be strong. "There's something I need to get off my chest," I told her, she remained quiet as she was willing to listen to me as I needed to get this out. "I was pregnant back in 2015 I was six months in with a baby girl. My fiancé and I were thrilled, but something went wrong with the pregnancy and I lost the baby," my voice cracked throughout as I couldn't believe I was telling someone this, but I also had this weight in my chest lift with each word I spoke. My eyes were on the road as I didn't want to turn to meet my Sister's gaze. "For months even the year, I was so broken, so withdrawn from the world and him. I blamed myself, my upbringing at the Academy. I even tried to blame him, which wasn't right... But in the end, I let go of the blame and the guilt that ate me up... It still hurts when I think about her or the whole thing," my voice lost as the tears began to slow but the pain in my heart was still there. "But I know what it feels like to be away from your daughter, because everyday I am," I forced myself to look at Allison who had tears rolling down her cheeks as she felt the pain I held in my voice, and I imagine she couldn't feel something like that...