The day I'll never forget @InamorataFeels

InamorataFeels

*THE DAY I'LL NEVER FORGET*

Here's what I remember about that afternoon. Even as I recount the occurrence it's still as clear as any memory can be in my head.

Chisom. That was her name.

I remember her staring down at me, her bright bangles jingling as she stuffed that flat glowing box in her pocket. I remember the way her lips bent in a smile, exposing the hole where her middle front teeth should have been.

'Don't feed her the akamu yet, Chisom. It's still hot, and she's only just two months old.' Mommy's face came into my line of vision. She looked a lot younger than she does now, although there were signs of fatigue staining her forehead and the corners of her mouth then.

'Yes, ma,' the girl, Chisom said with a nod, and when Mommy had gone out of my sight, she dropped her smile and brought out the glowing box from her pocket again.

I remember being very fascinated by the glowing box and wanting to touch it (I still have an affinity for shiny things). I tried to touch it, but it wasn't like I was making any effort. I wiggled my arms and legs in the air, but they still wouldn't move me any closer to the shiny, glowing object in her hand. I tried calling out to her, but all that came out of my mouth was gurgles.

Chisom had all her attention solely on the glowing box in her hand as she touched it with her fingers, smiling at what I couldn't see.

I remember being frustrated at being handicapped and mute. I tried turning to my side to be able to move closer to her.

And that was when that terrible pain came. It spread over my fat foot and wrapped around it, sinking into my very pores. Then I heard screaming. Horrible screaming. The sound rode the air. I realized I was the one screaming.

'Shit!' Chisom screamed, flinging the glowing box away like it had just bitten her. _'Chimo!'_

I felt hands on my foot and I screamed louder. The pain got worse, so did my screaming.

Mommy's face appeared in an instant, a look of horror on her face.

_'Chineke mo!_ What were you looking at!'

My eyes were squeezed shut in pain, but I could still hear their voices. And then I felt something cold on my foot, over where it hurt, and the pain seemed to reduce.

My screams didn't reduce, but I still heard that smack. And then a yelp.

_'Gi nwa a!_ You're fired!' Mommy's voice screamed. And then that loud smack followed again, and then louder yelping.

'Phone will kill you there! Because of phone, you want to kill my daughter, _kwa!_ _Alele!_ Get out! Mama Ebube is going to hear about this!'

I heard more  of voices, as if more people had joined.

' _Chai!_ Hot akamu on her leg!' a voice I still don't recognize till today lamented.

'Somebody go and get the doctor in the next flat!' somebody else said.

And I was being lifted and rocked. I couldn't hear myself screaming when I opened my eyes. Mommy's face was looming over me, tears streaking out of her eyes like an overfilled spring as she rocked me from side to side.

' _Ọ dị mma,_ Ogechu. _Ọ dị mma,'_ she said, and I indeed felt better when she smiled.

What happened after that is a bit blurry to me, like a half-forgottem dream. I remember a man coming in and touching my leg. And I remember being fed something very untasty. Anything else is not

Although I have been told severely that it's not possible whenever I talk about it (Mommy had dropped the dish in her hands the first time), but I know my eight year old mind did not imagine that day. And also, no one else had mentioned how I got the faded burn on my leg before I talked about it, so yeah.

I don't talk about that day as often as I used to before, but still, it's a day I'll never forget.

Copyright © Feels 2020