Chapter Four

3 months before

You couldn't believe you were actually writing that letter.

Every time you had imagined you quitting your job, you just thought about talking to Ransom and figuring things out with him, but lately, he had been less disposed towards you, and every time you'd tried to brought the topic up, he would soon cut you off and head to his room.

You couldn't stand his attitude towards you. One day he laughed with you and the other avoided you as if you were the Black Death. You couldn't bear his character any longer.

When that thought came into your mind, you pushed it away and breathed in and out, remembering yourself why you were working for such an asshole.

That morning Ransom had gone with his friends at the country club and, although he didn't know how to play golf, he went, leaving Sam and you alone at his house. It surprised you when you, after lunch with Ransom's chef -also known one of your best friends- found yourself sitting at his desk with his mahogany pen between your fingers.

You had had to rewrite the same letter six times, before actually coming up with nice words. You described how you liked working for him -though it wasn't true at all- and how those two years had taught you more than any university professor could have ever done. And you let also your soft side have an effect on your writing, right at the end of it.

'Hugh, you have a lot inside you. You've been hiding your true self for a while now. Do what you really like and what makes you happy. Life is too short to please others rather than ourselves.'

You signed and slipped the paper into an envelope, before sealing it and dropping it into the first drawer of your desk.

There, none would have ever found it, unless you wanted them to be that way.

As the next week approached, Ransom communicated to you that he had to conclude an affair in Miami and that you had to go with him -as his assistant.

You didn't argue that you just nodded and the next morning you knocked on Ransom's door, picking him up to get to the airport together. The car ride was silent, you often felt Ransom's eyes on you as you drove and every time you would tighten the grip on the wheel until your knuckles would become white.

He was doing it on purpose as if he wanted to test your determination not to pull over and jump on his lap.

The truth was that you really wanted to do that; those tight black pants he was wearing did nothing but turn you on and you had a couple of suggestions on how to use the sweater which was tied around his neck. Yet you knew you couldn't give up that easily in front of him.

Though there was another reason behind your firmness and it was that you were on your period. So, even if you'd wanted to let him bury himself inside you, it wouldn't happen.

After half an hour you were on Thrombey's private jet and you weren't alone. Ransom had invited a couple of friends. There was James Barnes and Anthony Stark, together with his lovely wife Pepper. The first one, instead, was followed by his assistant; a tall, fake-blond woman who didn't miss the chance to sit down between James and Ransom.

You had the great chance to meet her for the first time two years before -a couple of weeks after you had signed your contract- and since the first moment, you'd understood you just could have never gotten along. Though you both were assistants for two powerful men, she had revealed to you that she had been doing it because occasionally his boss would have asked her to join him in his bed and have a good fuck -maybe in the morning, or in the evening. You'd heard other voices and you'd came to the conclusion she was basically a whore for him, and she had never done anything different since he started working for James.