Chapter Six

Two Months Later

Two months after having left Ransom's house, a lot of things changed. You were no more a student; you successfully graduated from University and were now experiencing your first days in an elementary school -as a teacher. You went back to Belmont a couple of days after your graduation but found out your parents and brothers moved out, so you didn't see them.

When you came back you found none waiting for you, welcoming you back home. The balloons your friends had brought to your house the day you graduated were deflating and gradually falling to the floor. You could no more distinguish the letters and it made you sad; they were nothing else but a bunch of rubbish of which you should have got rid soon.

You weren't used to spending the day in your flat -which you found extremely silent- so you didn't know what to do. You looked for something to read in your bookcase but grumbled when you couldn't find anything you liked -or that you haven't read before. Going to a bookstore was out of the question since your university rent had been just paid and you had no job, so you just couldn't fritter your money away. You kept them for essential goods.

Though spending almost fifty bucks in a restaurant wasn't planned.

Your friends had been trying to convince you to join them all day long and when you finally gave up, you didn't know they had previously booked at the most expensive restaurant in your area. You didn't want to explain to them why you couldn't afford such a fancy expense, so at seven o'clock you found yourself in the only luxurious dress you got. Long, pink, and strapless, with an entire-length zip on the front. Just like the last time you'd wear it, you matched it with a pair of black heels.

You looked at yourself through the mirror in your bathroom as you applied some mascara on your eyelashes. You had just finished when your phone buzzed next to the sink and you got Lana, one of your friends, was waiting for you outside.

"Let's end this quickly", you grabbed your purse and head out of your apartment.

Three hours later you were laughing with your friends, recalling to your memory all the good times you had back in the University. You all got graduated the same day, so they shared the precious moment, though with different endings. Your friends went celebrating their great achievement with their families and you went back to your flat, alone, and ordered a cake from the bakery at the corner and ate it at dinner.

Alone.

On the table, your phone lighted up and began buzzing -not stopping for more than a couple of seconds. When you handed it, you found three missed calls from Sam, five messages from Harlan and even two missed calls from Linda.

One in-coming.

You excused from your friends and got up, once outside, you answered the phone, "Hello?"

"Oh, finally! Y/N, is that you, right?" as she heard your positive answer, she went on: "Where the hell are you? I've been trying to talk to you for the last two weeks. Know what? I don't care. I need you to reach Ransom's place. He has been unmanageable for the last weeks and now he's acting like an asshole. He closed me out!"

You thought that she seemed much more concerned that she had to be since Ransom had always been an asshole and you had to cope with that 'joke' a lot of times when you were his assistant.

"Tell him that you are about to cut his money off. He'll open the door immediately", you were about to hang up when you heard her voice once more.

"Listen, I don't know where you are, but you have to come here. It's hard to admit it, damn! You're the only person he listens", she snorted and seemed to be trying to get in the house, without any good result, "I can send a car to pick you up. You have to help me", then she lowered his voice and you heard what she said later only because you were in a silent space, "You're the only one".