Chapter Eight

Early in the morning, he pops into the shop to tell Oswald of his change in plans for the day and do some of the more boring parts of running a shop before they start piling up. He picks up (y/n) at her house once he's got the shop in order for the day. She's wearing a flowy pale yellow shirt and jeans that hug her hips. She presses a quick kiss to his lips before she takes his hand, leading him down the cobblestone path away from the house.

"So, what have you got planned?"

"I have a few spots picked out."

***

The few houses they look at are within their price range, but none of them really felt like home .

"You didn't like any of them?" he asks her when they sit down to lunch.

"They're fine," she takes a sip of her drink, "they just didn't feel like they were meant to be owned by us."

He chuckles, "well, there's one more I thought was nice if you're up for it."

***

"This is it," they apparate to the last house. It's one of the smaller options he had found. The outside was completely made of brick that has been worn down by the years in places. Green vines with little white flowers grow all across the brick, giving the little brick structure a charming cottage glow.

"It's adorable" (y/n) squeezes his hand slightly, her smile wide as she takes in the small home. It wasn't exactly something he thought she'd like initially as it was so different from what she's grown up with. But, it was a sweet like home previously owned by an old witch his dad knew. She kept it tidy, and her family didn't want to keep it after her passing. So when they learned one of Arthur's sons was looking to buy a new home with his fiancee, they had reached out.

"They say it's in pretty good shape. A few things need updating, but it's got a garden and two bedrooms. It's worth taking a look at." Arthur had suggested the previous night.

The inside is exactly how he had expected. It's cozy, a large stone fireplace separating the kitchen, dining room, and living room. The kitchen has rustic walnut cabinetry that could use a fresh coat of paint and new handles. The countertops needed updating too; a few scratches littered the wood, but there was plenty of space for a small table, and the appliances were nice enough. The living room was cozy, the fireplace was the focal point in the room. He imagined they would spend a lot of time in the living room. Maybe they'd put a sofa on the far wall and two armchairs near the fireplace. Mornings would be spent there in winter, the fireplace warming their cold hands.

The upstairs master bedroom was fairly big, as well. Large wooden beams lined the ceiling, and a small stone fireplace sat in the corner. The spare bedroom was smaller, but still nice. Its ceilings were similar to the master bedroom, and it also had a stone fireplace. The only downside he could see with the upstairs was the singular bathroom. But, most of these little houses had annoying details like such.

"Room for the heir ," he laughs as they check out the spare bedroom.

(y/n) swats his chest, "George Weasley!"

"What? It literally is an extra room for the baby."

"If you keep talking like that, you're going to put it in people's heads that I am pregnant ." She rolls her eyes. The mental image of (y/n) pregnant with their child pops into his head. He flushes, suddenly interested in the edge of his sleeve.

***

"So, what do you really think?" He asks when they're back at the Burrow. He has his arm wrapped around her shoulders.

(y/n) sighs, looking thoughtful, "I loved the last one."

"Really?" His eyes widen.

"Yeah! It was small, but George...It was perfect. I loved everything about it."

"You're sure? It's sort of small (y/n)."

"That's what I love about it. It's cozy."

"Cozy is just a nicer word for small," he jokes.

"Imagine this...Christmas mornings with that fireplace roaring, or summer days in the garden..." And he does imagine it, can imagine those future moments. The further his mind delves into the imagination of the future they could have in this little home, the more he's certain she's right. It is perfect.

***

"Oh, George. It's wonderful," his mother squeezes his bicep as she admires the outside of the little home.

"Not bad at all," Charlie puts his arm around his shoulders.

"It's small, but (y/n) was really set on it."

"I can see why. The outside is beautiful." Molly assures him. "Let's see the inside."

He shows them around the kitchen and living room and the two bedrooms upstairs.

"It's a little small, but I think it'll be nice. We'll buy something bigger later on."

"Thinking about expanding the family?" Charlie laughs. There's no way Charlie knows about the contract or the details of the clauses (y/n) 's parents implemented without her consent. He looks towards his mother, raising his eyebrows. Molly gives him a look back but doesn't say anything.

"Something like that."