Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

"Rookwood?" Tom repeated. To Harry, the man sounded almost... flabbergasted. "Is dead?"

"Yes, My Lord," Lucius replied hesitantly, his eyes flashing toward Harry's sitting form before turning back to his Lord. "His wife discovered his body on their doorstep. She owled me, telling me it was urgent. She didn't know what else to do."

Harry looked away from the aristocrat and studied the Dark Lord's closed expression. The man was obviously reeling at the loss of his Unspeakable spy. After all, Unspeakables were loyal to the Ministry, almost insanely so. It would be impossible to catch another pair of eyes within the Unspeakable labs. "They knew," Harry muttered. Crimson eyes looked across the table at Harry. "They knew we were in France. And they knew they had a spy within their ranks. Somehow, they found out it was Rookwood."

Tom remained silent, his eyes far away. Lucius remained standing in the doorway to the patio, watching the two dark-haired wizards before him.

"They probably relocated the labs again, Tom," Harry started, fretting. He missed Lucius' raised eyebrows at Harry addressing the Dark Lord by his first name.

"They probably have, yes," Tom nodded once.

"But... Remus Lupin... I need to get him out. I was so close yesterday. So close." Imagining being just inches away from the werewolf made him nauseous. Because he knew, most certainly, that the Unspeakables had moved their labs once again.

"In war, Harry, it is necessary to sacrifices things, to sacrifice people."

Green eyes flashed. "I have already sacrificed enough, Tom. My parents, my godfather, my trust... I don't want to sacrifice the only person who could bring back a bit of my parents. He needs me. My parents died in attempt to save him."

Tom gazed at him darkly, leaning his straight back against the chair. His long tapered fingers caressed the edge of the table. Harry refused to back away from his stare. "What do you expect me to do, Harry?" The man all but purred darkly. "I have no spy. We do not know where the labs are now. And you are not ready to engage in battle."

Harry closed his eyes, clenching his jaw. "Who gets to determine if I'm ready? You or I?" He asked sharply, trying to rein in his temper. He was ready. And damn Tom Riddle if he thought he wasn't.

"We will discuss this later," the man hissed.

"Just like we will discuss the other Magi?" Harry shot back, opening his eyes. The Dark Lord was standing at attention, ready to speak to Lucius until Harry opened his mouth. The Lord turned his head slowly, the expression on his face spelling out his silent rage. Harry kept his chin up, challenging the red gaze.

"Another Magus?" Lucius Malfoy breathed. Riddle kept his slit-eyes on Harry, not amused. "Say it isn't so, My Lord. Two Magi?"

Harry turned away from Tom's raged filled face and onto Lucius. "Yes. He—," a cold hand grabbed his jaw, squeezing. Harry's face was forcibly turned to Tom. The man was bending at his waist, his own face thrust into the Gryffindor's.

"I said we will discuss things later. Hush." With one last warning stare, Tom let Harry's jaw go. "I will accompany you to Rookwood's house, Lucius. From there on I will call a meeting. The Ministry is getting offensive. We need to show them we aren't threatened."

Harry stood up, watching as the two men turned to leave. "Don't I get to come?" He felt like a small boy, asking his father for permission to accompany him. "I could meet your followers—,"

"You will stay here." Crimson eyes raked the length of his body before turning around. The taller Dark Lord led Lucius inside. Just as they were about to shut the door, Harry gave a hiss.