red

Loving you was red.

Red like the lipstick I wore that made me smile when I saw myself in the mirror. Making me lift my shoulders while I was looking at myself and making me feel confident, more than I ever thought I could be. Like the reflection of my young me giving me a proud nod as if she spoke to me saying „You finally made it.".

Red like the roses you brought me. Like jumping into your arms, hugging you tightly while my cheeks hurt from smiling, tears in my eyes. I still remember the feeling of love filling my body whenever I saw them, making my heart pound happily, while a rollercoaster seemed to take place in my stomach. It was like taking care of them, always making sure they had enough water, so that I could keep them as long as possible. Until this very day, they remind me of you, of you and me.

Red like the color of the door of the abandoned treehouse I found as a kid. Like finding something in the exact moment you really need it. Like a place to finally be you, where you can let your guards down and can give your inner child the love it didn't feel at home anymore.
It was like having something you could always come back to. Like finally coming home to a place that not only felt the nearest to family, but to the love no one gave you.
Like being the happiest you've ever been.

Loving you was red.