Chapter 3

***
Maya Djord
November 3, 1800

Maya Djord was anything but a princess as she threw open the doors to the tavern, exhausted from escaping the Arce Ace. It was a hard few days of surviving off the jewels attached to her steed's reins, but she managed somehow.

The sun was yet to rise, and Maya wished it never did.

More stressful than fleeing Auber was crossing the border to her own country. She'd yelled at them numerous times, angry none of them recognized her with pants on.

However, before the guards of Auber could reach her, Maya passed through the gate, all thanks to the lieutenant in charge. He'd met Maya a few times before the "wedding" to discuss laws regarding the border.

More than anything, Maya was lucky. So lucky that she'd even found a four-leaf clover upon her arrival in her home country.

She leaned against the counter, staring the bartender in the eye. "Oi," she slurred, trying her best to sound like a man. It wasn't a hard task considering her voice was already deep. "I want some water."

Maya adjusted her cloak's hood, trying her best to cover her face. Hopefully, her clothing would hide the outline of her body. She didn't want anyone knowing she was alone and that she was a "she." Even the thought of that made it hard for her to keep her composure.

Maya's mother and teachers had told her all about what happened to women--especially when they were alone. The tales were more than enough to make Maya wish she were a prince instead.

The bartender eyed Maya's hooded face, trying to determine whether he should serve her. He then grabbed a glass and filled it with water. "We don't serve milk here, because kids ain't allowed in this place."

Maya gruffed, losing her will to drink the water from the cup. The water was as clean as the ocean, and living on the Black Egret for a few weeks was enough to know that the sea was full of blood and gore.

"For the water, I'm going to need ten copper pieces."

Slamming a hand on the counter, Maya said, "I could drink better quality water from the sewer. I'm not paying anything for something dirtier than my piss."

When the bartender was about to say something in retaliation, something in anger, Maya took the glass and poured its contents on his head. "I don't need to hear anything more from you."

When Maya turned around and faced the rest of the tavern, everyone's eyes were on her. Immediately, she knew that she made a mistake. Made the mistake to provoke the bartender.

But so did they.

To test the patience of Maya Djord was an error above all.

Everyone's eyes were on her, except for a singular man sitting in the corner, sipping a cup of milk.

"Try me," Maya muttered under her breath, but it was enough for the bartender to hear her. She turned her head dramatically towards the barkeep. "Listen, I'm a goddamn pirate. I wouldn't want to kill off all your customers. And honestly, I'm in a rather unpleasant mood, so all you have to do is give me a clean glass of water and I'll be on my way."

He sneered. "The only pirates worthy to be afraid of are the members of the Black Egret."

"Right," she mumbled, preparing her statement, preparing herself to tear the barkeep down. "Then I think you've ought to be trembling at the knees, good sir."

Now he laughed. "Sure. If you are a member of the Black Egret, I will let you drink whatever you want, on the house."

Maya resisted the urge to lower her hood.