Chapter 5

***
Sehyun Han and Aeryn Branche
November 3, 1800

"This is some incredible nonsense," said Han, sipping the soup with an expression nastier than what lay on his spoon. "Dead chickens probably taste better."

"All meat is dead, Captain. It's hard for you to eat disgusting meat, so every dead animal you've consumed is tasty as per your standards. Obviously, this tastes horrible. It's a blend of your least favourite ingredients." 

Suzy sighed, trying hard to ignore the expression Sehyun wore. Had Sehyun looked like a normal adult rather than a seventeen-year-old child, Suzy would have not gone through the hassle of preparing the soup and begging him to drink it. Had he acted and appeared as an adult rather than an adolescent, she wouldn't have been reminded of a younger brother every time they had a non-work-related conversation. 

Sehyun's leg started to bounce under his desk to take his attention away from the horrid smell of the broth. His butt hurt from sitting so long, his nose could no longer take the reek, he was sweaty, and he was too uncomfortable. He wished these problems were easy to solve aboard a pirate ship. 

His eyes dashed around his room, looking for a distraction. All he saw was how much he needed to tidy up, but he never ran out of excuses. 

"This is for your health, Captain. I found the recipe in one of your medical books, so I don't know why you're complaining," she said exasperated. She too was uncomfortable having to witness Han's stubbornness and messy room. She wanted to bring it up, but she knew his being ill would allow him to simply say no. 

"I wrote that without the expectations of drinking such a monstrosity. Besides, my body can fix itself."

Suzy grabbed her forehead. "But you said it works to cure some of your symptoms in the footnotes, so think positive and gulp it down."

Han dropped the spoon into the bowl, scowling at it as if it had murdered a loved one. "No."

She tapped the side of her thigh, thinking of a way to get him to comply. "I won't let you meet Marty when we arrive at the port."

Immediately, after a glance of betrayal, Han took the bowl, clogged his nose, and downed the contents. "If I puke, you're cleaning it up."

"I would have done that regardless, but sure."

Sehyun snatched the glass of water from Suzy's hand, the one meant for Aeryn who had a sore throat. The one meant for the ex-captain who lay asleep in Han's top bunk—the only one who'd come in his room and not comment on the mess. 

The only redeeming quality she had in Han's eyes. 

"Captain, you mustn't—"

He'd already finished the water.

"In your book, you clearly wrote that nothing is to be consumed afterwards."

Sehyun cracked a smile because it was the only thing he was brave enough to do. He couldn't bring himself to say, Suzy, that's precisely why I took it. He couldn't risk having to drink another bowl.  

The quartermaster sighed once again and decided to change the subject. If only Han wasn't so childish. "We'll arrive at Marty's pick-up location within three hours approximately."

"So in the morning?"

"Yes. I suggest you get some sleep, Captain, otherwise your day will go by groggy." Suzy collected the empty dishes and made to leave Han's room.

"Stay for a while," he said, neither sleepy nor entertained at the moment. Suzy's company would be better than nothing until the waves lulled him to sleep.