Chapter 7

***
Sehyun Han and Suzy Aranaz
November 3, 1800

As they exited the boat, Sehyun dropped his blanket into the ocean. Instead of worrying or trying to retrieve it, he simply watched it float away. To him, it was funny, but he was too tired to laugh.

Just like the blanket would decay one day in the ocean, everyone alive would as well.

Unless immortality wasn't a myth.

A few weeks before he met Captain Aeryn Branche, he'd read a nameless book about a magical race called the Fey. They were immortal beings with limitless beauty at their disposal.

Even if they were near extinct.

According to the book, the Fey and their half-human offspring had fought against each other in a civil war. But what really intrigued his interest was the format of the book. It was written like a diary from the perspective of one of the Fey.

"Captain," Suzy said.

He gave her his attention.

Suddenly, he was brought back to reality. He hadn't even realized they'd reached the end of the docks.

"Would you like to accompany me to look for Marty or would you like to rest?"

Sehyun slumped his shoulders, looking much shorter than he truly was from the way he kept his back bent. "I don't know."

Suzy studied Sehyun's face.

His eyes drifted from her to the blanket he dropped into the ocean. He reached into his pocket for his pen and twirled it around, meaning he was focused on a thought, a conspiracy, or a story. And she knew better than to disturb him from his thoughts more than once.

Instead, Suzy would allow him ten more seconds to answer before leaving him there.

Returning to the real world once the blanket floated out of sight, Sehyun said, "I'll come with." He returned his pen to his pocket before suggesting they go to the Night Market while it was still dark.

The wind had spontaneously picked up during their journey, taking them to their location much quicker than expected.

They probably had two hours before Marty even woke up.

The pair walked in silence through a market to pass the time. Every so often, Sehyun would point at a snack or a drink he wanted and Suzy would purchase the item for him. She would then proceed to take "one bite" out of everything.

Tereline's night market was the greatest thing to grace the Earth, but what mattered most was the street food.

By the time the sun rose, Sehyun had already stuffed his face and his belly to the point where even walking became a chore--and walking was Sehyun's only preferred method of exercise.

A chill ran down Sehyun's spine. Suzy had gone windowshopping on of the ladies' store, so she wouldn't be there to provide aid to whatever put him on alert.

He straightened his back, the cracks satisfying his ears.

Han rarely felt the need to protect himself. He either had Suzy or Marty around and they were good enough to hold their own. But without either of them nearby, he was reminded of the first time he set foot on the Black Egret. It was quite a horrid feeling. It was just a few days before his eighteenth birthday, but he was grateful for Marty's warm approach.

Would you like some cake? Marty had asked. Quinta, the chef, made it for your arrival. The son of the captain, right?

Only if it isn't lemon flavoured. Sehyun hadn't made eye contact and completely ignored everything Marty had said after cake. He was no son of the captain, just his offspring to protect his status on the ship. To keep the "Bae" name on the ship. Too bad for him. Sehyun had taken his mother's last name.