Chapter 13

***
November 3, 1800
Suzy Aranaz, Asra Devorinak

Everyone but Asra and Suzy Aranaz failed the test. They didn't even get to approach Pegasus much less touch the majestic stallion.

Zeus clapped his hands, the sound of thunder rumbling in the sky. "Alright, those who have failed will return home with no memories of what occurred here today."

The god clapped his hands once more and everyone but the fake fortune-teller and quartermaster vanished, not a single trace of their existence left behind.

The more time that went on, the dream-like haze that was on her senses started lifting. With every moment, she felt grounded. Even whilst on clouds.

"Asra, Suzanne—"

"Suzy."

Zeus cleared his throat. "You will now fight to the death."

Asra chuckled, no longer worried about what the god might do to exact punishment. From what she read about Zeus and how he acted at the moment, it seemed the most he could do was express his distaste. "Why would I fight to the death? To entertain a god I don't even worship?"

Ignoring the important question, Zeus answered the useless one with another inquiry. "Which god do you worship, then?"

"No god is worthy."

A weight fell on everyone's shoulders, broken by Suzy's fake but passable cough. "Can we please hurry up whatever we're doing at the moment? I have some business to take care of back where I come from."

Zeus sighed. "Alright. If both of you cease with the commentary and interruptions, I suppose we might have already finished what I had planned. So, if you have any inquiries, ask them now."

Suzy raised a hand just barely above her shoulder and asked, "How come your method differs from how Poseidon and Hades chose their Emperor and Empress? And what would one of us be called should one of us become one of your...monarchs? And is the requirement being born on the first day of August? Both the Emperor of the Dead and Empress of the Sea are born on that day in different years and the same is for me. I'm assuming she," Suzy made a polite gesture towards Asra, "shares our birthday."

Zeus cracked a knuckle, tightening his lips making his moustache wiggle. Asra could barely contain her smile. "You are right about the birth date, but it's not only the first of August. That was a coincidence. It is merely that I must pick someone born in the month of August. The previous ones that were chosen were all born in July. Asra is born on the twenty-fifth. Also, the method of choice differs from me and my brothers solely on personal choice.

"Hades kept an eye on the Han family line ever since they started and was waiting for someone to be born in the correct month. Poseidon let his daughter scout someone even though she didn't know what she was doing, and I simply randomly picked a dozen people born in August that seemed capable and made them go through the task."

Suzy nodded in acknowledgement and provided gratitude for the information while Asra rubbed her chin, finally ready to ask her own question.

"Alright, God of Affairs and Wives, tell me why someone like you would ever choose a woman—even by accident to do whatever it is you want us to do?"

Zeus closed his eyes and put his head in his palm. He was hoping this question wouldn't be asked.

"Regardless of who wins, you better not think of whatever it is I think you might think. Or are already thinking." Asra ceased her sentence, leaving it as if it were only half complete and decided to change the topic. "How about you just tell me the reason I'm even here in the first place. Explain it from the top."