13

————

The group entered a dark room with broken pieces all around it. "I don't like this. I don't like this at all," Hermione said.

"Where are we?" Liv asked and Harry shrugged.

"A graveyard?" Harry suggested.

"This is no graveyard," Ron said before he sighed. "It's a chessboard." He then walked out into the marble board and flames lit up, illuminating the board and giant players.

"There's the door," Harry said once he, Hermione & Liv walked up to Ron.

They began to walk across the board, towards the door, but suddenly, as they reached a line of pawns, the pawns brought up their swords. "Now what?" Liv asked.

"It's obvious, isn't it? We've got to play our way across the room. All right. Harry, you take the Bishop's square. Hermione, you'll be the Queen's side castle. Liv, stand by Harry. As for me, I'll be a knight," Ron said, then they all took their places.

"What happens now?" Hermione asked as Ron boarded a horse.

"Well, white moves first, and then...we play," Ron said, and a pawn on the other side moved forward as Ron studied the game.

"Ron, you don't suppose this is going to be like...real wizard's chess, do you?" Hermione asked.

"You there! D-5!" Ron exclaimed, then a black pawn moved forward, diagonal to the white pawn. The white one rose it's sword and smashed the black one, and the children jumped. "Yes, Hermione, I think this is going to be exactly like wizard's chess!"

------

As the game continued, pieces smashed each other. "Castle to E-4!"

Smash!

"Pawn to C-3!"

Smash!

Boom!

The Queen turned and smashed a piece as the four children winced. Then the Queen turned again while Ron & Harry studied the game. "Wait a minute," Harry said.

"You understand right, Harry. Once I make my move, the Queen will take me...then you'll be free to check the King," Ron said.

"No, Ron! No!" Harry exclaimed.

"What?" Liv asked.

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

"He's going to sacrifice himself!" Harry exclaimed.

"No, Ron, you can't!" Hermione exclaimed.

"There has to be another way!" Liv exclaimed, then Ron faced the girls.

"Do you want to stop Snape or not? Harry & Liv, it's you that has to go on. I know it. Not me, not Hermione, you," Ron said and the Twins nodded. "Knight...to H-3." Then Ron's horse moved forward and slide then stopped. "Check." The Queen turned and advanced, and Ron breathed faster, as he clutched the steel reins then the Queen stopped.

SMASH!

Ron went flying off the horse and landed on the floor, unconscious, screaming. "RON!" Harry screamed, then Hermione tried to walk towards Ron. "NO!" Hermione looked at the Twins.

"Don't move! Don't forget, we're still playing," Liv said and Hermione nodded before she moved back to her spot. Harry then wakes the diagonal in front of the King.