Chapter 4

"What did you say?" Britney asked as we pulled into her driveway. It was Friday night, and we already had a sleepover planned.

"I said yes." The normal part of me couldn't help but smiling. The anxious part was worried this was all some elaborate prank. I have no idea why my mind went there. After all, other girls went on dates all the time. Why not me?

"Ohhh!" Britney clasped her hands together and batted her eyelashes. Like me, she had dark brown hair, but she wore a lot more makeup. I hardly wore any by contrast. Clear skin was the one way puberty had been kind to me. For now.

"Where are you going?" she asked as we stepped out of her car. It was past dinnertime and the sun was already setting.

"Mini-golfing," I replied

"Really? That's great!"

"It is?"

"Of course it is!" Britney said as we stepped through her front door. "Activity dates are always the best. You automatically have stuff to talk about. No awkward silences."

"Hmm... I hadn't thought of that." In hindsight, that might be the reason Nathan had picked it. After all, our writing assignment had been activity. Without that, we might never have hit it off so well. "I'm more concerned about all the moving around."

"What's wrong with moving around?"

As a demonstration, I wiggled my backside so she could hear my diaper crinkling. 

Britney just laughed as we walked up the stairs toward her bedroom.

"Plus," I added, "there's a lot of bending over in mini-golf."

When we reached the top, she spun around and gave me a flat look. "Who cares what's under your skirt?"

"Um ... most high schoolers?"

"Well, yeah. But this boy obviously fancies you."

Britney isn't British, if that's what you're thinking. She just likes the word 'fancy."

"Besides," she continued, "he'll find out eventually. I know you're new at the whole relationship thing. But usually, when you're with a hot guy..."

"I know what people do!' I covered my cheeks, rolling my eyes and laughing all at once.

"And for all you know," she said, "he already knows you wear diapers. And since he asked you out, that means he's cool with it. Speaking of which, I'm about to put my pajamas on."

I sat on Britney's bed as she began rummaging through her top dresser drawer. "Well, I may have hinted earlier today that I ... wear pull-ups"

She looked over her shoulder to face me. "Hinted how?"

I shrugged. "I told him I had to go to the bathroom. But I didn't. I really had to get changed."

"Oh." She waved that away. "You're adorable."

I frowned. "Explain?"

She turned all the way around and leaned against her dresser. "That's the oldest trick in the book, my dear. Do you know how many high school girls 'go to the bathroom' just to change their soggy pull-ups?"

"Hmm... that makes sense I guess. But those girls actually wear pull-ups to back up their story. I don't."

Britney pulled out a pajama top and a night-time diaper, tossing both on her bed. Night-time diapers are one of those things that most teenagers wear, but few like to talk about. The fact is, no matter how rock-hard your daytime continence is, bedwetting is a whole different ballgame. You can't flex your pelvic floor muscles and run to the bathroom when you're sound asleep.