Prologue

My name is Jupiter Greenberg and when I was fourteen I watched my family die. 

The memory is like a constant nightmare. 

Their blood-curdling screams that rang throughout my house and the thick musty smell that came with the fire. The shrieks that came from all directions and that surrounded me, seeming to drown me. I remember the burning hot tears falling down my cheeks and the puffiness of my eyelids from trying so hard to squeeze them shut. 

But that's not what this story is all about.

When I was twelve years old a human was found that was different, and so it was documented as the first verial. People say it was the very first verial ever, but I don't believe that. I think there are many more than anyone really thinks, most of them hidden in the shadows. My guess is that there have always been verials, since forever. Since the world was created.

People like to say that the verial wasn't even real, just a trick from some freak lab. I don't believe that either though. A lot of people are scared of unknown power, in a way, I think we all are. They are scared of the supernatural powers the verials have. They are scared that one day a verial will start their house on fire, or kill their children. Me, not so much. I believe that most of them are good people, good people cursed with their gift. 

The gift that gives them the unbelievable ability to do crazy things.

People also believe that the verials are made, or that the abilities are genetic. I've figured out that both of those are lies as well. The verial gift is random. Reaching a little less than one in every forty million people. That gift is what gives them a unique power, that no normal person on earth has. There's a man in Beijing with the ability to create light. There is a woman in Australia who can turn into any animal she chooses. I've studied them and know where most of them are. A couple times I've figured out a person's powers before they themselves do.

I've also figured out how a verial is killed, which in itself isn't easy. Each of them have a weakness, a person they cannot lose. If that person dies, they lose all their powers. They are no longer supernatural with powers like the ones in movies and are left empty shells. They're easy to kill, easy to hurt, and completely normal. But until their person is killed, or at least they think that person is killed, they're invincible. I've always been fascinated with the idea of these people with supernatural powers. For years I've studied them, following them. I've traveled all the world tracking them, trying to find the evil ones. And a certain one in particular.

Seven years ago there was a verial who went ballistic. 

I don't know if she became evil or just really confused, but she went sociopathic. One day her twisted head decided to find a small home in a rural area. There she opened the door and saw a family eating dinner. She had looked at the table between them all, then willed a fire to start. As soon as it started burning she turned and walked away. She left that house and walked away, down the road. She left without a trace, getting into a car parked just out of sight.

Leaving was a big mistake for her. For some reason, she hadn't stayed to make sure the whole family burned alive.

 That they were all dead.

 I don't think she thought about some miracle happening. So, she didn't notice the girl in the middle of it all crawl away without a scratch. Her hair blown all over her face and burning tears falling down her cheeks, but not a single blister. 

She didn't realize someone had escaped.

I don't think it would have mattered who. Any member of my family would have been out to get her after what she did. But it was me that made it out, and as expected I'm out to get her. I want to see her go through every bit of pain she caused me. I want her to feel just how hurt I am and how broken that much pain makes you. And then, in the end, no matter what or who it takes, I'm going to be the one to kill her.