Chapter 8: Dino Eggs

When we arrive at the cottage, I rush out of the tiny car as soon as possible.

 I'm immediately surprised by the size of the cottage. It's bigger than what I normally call a cottage and looks fairly new. I take in the metal door and brick walls. The plants are potted in metal buckets. The window frame looks to be made of metal as well.

I don't understand the strange building choices until a second later, noticing that there's no fireplace, instead replaced by an electric heater. I finally realize that this house was built to keep someone like Knight out.

I grab my black bag and follow Connors to the door. He pulls out a metal key attached to a lanyard. I notice right away how there aren't any other keys on it, which I guess makes sense. Why would you need keys when you can operate any machine?

Once he pushes open the door I follow in, Ian rushing behind me.

"There are 3 rooms down that hall, and 3 down this way. I always planned to come here with Rachel and Morgan, even Kevin. I had extra rooms built too, for when they grow up, I wanted them to be able to take their kids here with them."

I nod, slipping my shoes off and stepping on the white carpet. I place my bag on the couch and look around. 

There is a connected dining room and kitchen. In the middle of the dining room is a big oak table with 4 chairs centred around. In the living room paintings cover the walls, most of them detail portraits of famous people I clearly recognize. 

There's a black leather couch against the wall and above it hangs the largest painting of them all. There's a scene of a dark sunset, toned with mostly dark blues and purples, and it seems to be painted by another painter than the portraits, someone who's not quite as skilled. Even so, it causes my breath to stop for a moment.

 I walk a little closer, trying to make out the words written on the bottom, 'They were only stars, extreme visions equaling nothing. Once nothing equalled everything, I gained honest truth.'

The words confuse me, but also remind me of something, something that meant a lot to me.

Against the opposite wall is a wooden piano. When I was younger I played, because my mom had taught me. Back then piano had been a common thing, now, I can't think of the last time I saw one. I remember playing the same well-known tunes on repeat. I run my fingers over the ivory keys.

 I turn around and walk to the cabinets. "Can I get some food going?"

I hear Connors calling from down the hall, "Sure, don't know what you'll find though."

I pull open the cupboard and am surprised at the amount of food actually inside. There's instant oatmeal, peanut butter, canned meats, pancake mix, canned beans, and a bunch of other stuff I'm not willing to try. "Anybody want oatmeal?"

Turner comes around the corner on her phone, "I'll have some if you're making it, I would, but I've burned water." 

I smile, then nod. I turn around and grab the box, smiling when I see the box of Dino Eggs behind it. Spinning my head around once more, I call out again, "Anybody else?"

This time I get a unanimous response of yes. I take out both boxes and fill a kettle with water. I assume that although the rest of this place seems new, the kitchen was part of an original part of the house. There's no dishwasher, and the stove looks like it's gas-powered, again something I haven't seen in a long time.

 I look through the drawers and find a lighter. I put the gas on and press the small switch in the lighter, causing the stove to start. I grab two pots from the cupboard, filling one with a couple of packs of the regular oatmeal, then one with a few packs of Dino eggs.