XXVII - WHEEL INSIDE THE WHEEL

   Audrey stood on the balcony overlooking the street below, her fingers tapping against the railing anxiously as she waited. With Mikael now in the wind, Klaus had turned his focus onto helping find what had happened to Elijah, who they'd still had no luck in locating. Hearing the sound of screams coming from inside, Audrey made her way back inside with a frown, following the source of the noise to Klaus's room. 

   She found the hybrid in question stood over the sink, cleaning blood from his hands and face, causing her to raise a brow. "So your interrogation went well?"

   He glances from the mirror to her as he washed up. "Eh, it turns out these witches are delicate creatures. No matter. I suspected my mother had Elijah captive."

   "So what are we waiting for?" She asked in disbelief. "Let's go find them."

   Klaus shook his head as he walked toward her. "Esther is too powerful. She won't be easily found. I need to draw her out."

   "So let's draw her out--" She paused as he brushed past her, going to close the door of his room behind him. "Wait, where are you going?"

   Klaus looked at her with a patronizing smile. "I'm going to change my shirt, and then I'm going to find my brother." He stated in an obvious one, before going to close the door again.

   Frowning, the Gilbert girl was quick to block the door with her foot. "Klaus, let me come with you." She insisted in annoyance.

   With a deep sigh, Klaus stepped in front of her with a calm look. "I know you want to help, Audrey, but you can't." He told her honestly. "My mother is wretched. She will target you in order to thwart me, and I can't very well save Elijah if I'm busy saving you, can I?" She was the one to let out a sigh this time, crossing her arms as she looked down in frustration. "Elijah would want you and the baby safe. If I return him home and something has happened, how do you think that would go down?"

   "Nik, I can't just sit around do nothing." She looked at him. "It's driving me insane."

   "Find something to keep you occupied." He suggested, before gripping her shoulders lightly, giving her a look. "I will get him back. But for not only his sake, but all our sake, stand this one down." Giving her shoulders a light, reassuring squeeze, Klaus went into his room and closed the door behind him.

   Her hands reached up toward her chest, her fingers clutching onto the charm of her necklace. She knew that Klaus was right, but it didn't make it any easier. As she moved back onto the balcony, she felt her phone begin to ring in her pocket, her eyes glancing at who it was before she answered it. 

   "Fancy a trip down into the bayou?" Hayley asked the moment she answered.

   "The bayou?" She repeated in confusion. "Why?"

   "I'm going to find Jackson." The Marshall girl told her. "I want to go rescue Oliver. If we can get Oliver, he might be able to help us find out where Esther has Elijah. Marcel and Gia are willingly to help distract Finn, but I can't go in alone."