9. Restless by Nature [Jack Barakat & Alex Gaskarth|All Time Low]

Sydney sits at the head of the pristine white table, blue eyes attentively scanning every inch of the room until they fall on a familiar duo: Alex and Lisa. Alex’s eyes flick up to hers, the gaze lasting a mere second. He turns his attention back to Lisa, most likely feeding her some excuse to leave her alone at their table while Sydney makes her way to the center of the room, towards all the swirling couples. Alex meets her halfway and immediately the singer’s arms snake around her waist, pulling her dangerously close.

“Well, well, well, look who it is. Fancy seeing you here, eh?”

“You’ve always got jokes, Gaskarth,” she provides an eye roll as they begin to sway in time to the music filling the room, “As I recall, it is I who invited you here.”

“That is very true. Doesn’t make it any less nice to see you.”

She steals a glance over his shoulder, her eyes falling on Matt, who gives a sympathetic smile, before she replies to the singer’s overambitious comment, “What a charmer.”

“I do my best getting by with what I have.”

“That’s your problem,” she replies with a snorting laugh, “You’re always doing something.”

“I’m not exactly sure how you meant that,” he replies honestly, the inflection in his voice curious not angry, “I’m restless by nature, babe; you know that.”

“It’s your restless nature that’s going to get you into trouble, you do realize that, right?”

“Probably,” adventurously, he dips her down just in time with a change of tempo in the song, her hair almost sweeping the floor, “But isn’t a little trouble fun?”

“You could find fun in a room with four plain white walls.”

“Well doesn’t that make me special, interesting… sexy?”

“You are beyond pushing your luck, Gaskarth.”

“I walk on the wild side—”

“Ha ha ha ha ha,” she interrupts, finishing the quote, “Even at twenty-five years old, you’re quoting ‘The Lion King?’ You are indeed a class act.”

“You love me.”

“You certainly hope so.”  

She shoots him a wry grin before forcing herself away from him, wandering back up to her table and taking a seat as a memory attacks her, pulling her close just as the stranger from her past had done just now on the dance floor.

“You know, Syd, I’m really glad we’re doing this,” he muses, his arm snaking around her waist as they sit perched on the roof of his car.

“I am too,” she murmurs in response, her head resting on his shoulder and nestling there perfectly as if it was made to lay there.

“Sorry ‘bout the restaurant; I promised I placed a reservation, I really did, I guess it just—”

“Lex!” she interrupts, damn near giggling at his rambling, “Don’t sweat it.”

“Forget it, everything is a-okay! Just let it go then it’s off to find another fix.”

“Singing your own songs outside of a concert?”

“Hey, someone’s gotta be our fan!”

“So, you’re in the band and you’re also your own number one fan?”

“Exactly!”