きゅう (nine)

Big drops have already started their rhythmic pitter-patter against the leaves of the trees around him. Jin can feel the rain start to soak his kimono, at first only a few dots on his shoulders.

He sheathes his katana, glancing towards where Yuna was sitting a few minutes ago, working on finishing the fishing rod. She's gone, probably carrying supplies back into the house to protect them from the rain.

While he can't help but want to make himself useful, he has to give himself a moment to catch his breath. The whole morning, he had worked on tweaking his fighting stances. Every muscle feels drained, more than they usually would from practicing, but in a way that's satisfying.

His form left nothing to be desired; there were just some temporary limitations his injuries provided, which he had to learn to work with. The process was, in itself, nothing new (he had obviously gotten hurt many times before), only the affected spots were different. In spite of what he's been taught by both others and his own experiences, Jin can't afford waiting for full recovery in his current situation.

There is still so much left to do, and he's made enemies he never thought he'd have to face. Being ready to strike back at any given moment is of immense value. Jin doesn't know how much time they have left until the Shogun's men find their hiding spot, and he doesn't want to find out. While he had been swinging his sword and clearing his mind of as many thoughts as possible (he never managed to, now even less so), one that stuck to his brain was the fact that they should pack up what little they have and move. Especially now that he can move.

"The last thing your healing wounds need is rainwater." Yuna speaks up, keeping her face shielded with her hands as she runs up to him. Her hair is damp already, and there are droplets of water in her lashes.

"I don't mind the rain." Jin shrugs with his healthy shoulder. When she nods for him to follow, he does. He only stops in his tracks when he has crossed the clearing and reached the spot where Yuna had made tea for them that morning. He reaches for the empty pot, picking it up in spite of Yuna's protests, and propping it against his side before he makes his way towards the onsen.

He can feel the earth start to soften beneath the soles of his sandals, he likes it. Liked it even as a little boy.

Yuna glances at him, puzzled at his change of direction, but she understands in a few seconds time, and proceeds to the shack without him.

About a minute later, Jin is stepping through the entrance with the pot now filled with water propped against his hip.

When he sets it down on the ground, he he can't help but let a sharp intake of breath slip.

"You could have asked for help," Yuna says.

"I need to regain my strength," Jin states plainly, padding around the shack, looking for a rag.

"By making your wounds bleed again?" She asks, tossing him a piece of fabric that's lightly stained with reddish brown, presumably from his own blood a few days ago.

"You didn't mind me running straight into castle Kaneda right after you dragged me off the beach. And my injuries were worse then than they are now."

Yuna frowns, then turns around and looks out the window when he starts to undo his kimono.

"That was different." She says, voice now slightly muffled by the rain and the fact that she's facing away. "You were out for a few days, and didn't move at all. Not like this time, where it only took you a few hours to wake up."

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"For people like you, who work themselves to the bone, maybe it is."