Chapter Ten

On his return from Gibraltar, Ghashide contacted Angie. She answered the instant her mobile rang.

 "Angie Symes."

"It's Mark. I must see Davy. Can you come round as soon as possible?"

"No problem. I'll give him a call." She replaced the receiver and mouthed, why?

Within half an hour, they were outside Ghashide's apartment block.

The concierge system gave them access. She held his hand as they entered the lift. Ghashide was waiting. "Come in. I have good news." He opened the door to his lounge and followed them in. "I'll get straight to the point as I'm in a rush. William has accepted your method of shifting the merchandise and suggested you take over the delivery and transportation of our operation in England. At the start, I'll give you the necessary introductions and guidance."

Davy nodded. "Brilliant. Do I get a pay rise?"

Ghashide laughed. "It's a bit of a jump, but if it goes well, and I'm sure it will, we'll both be the richer for it. From tomorrow, we're a team. Introductions to my contacts will be necessary. They'll take orders from you. Any problems. I'll sort them out."

Davy listened and wondered. Did he have enough information to return to everyday life? "Okay, what's in it for me?

Ghashide paused, "Don't get too excited, but I'd expect you to make more than half a million pounds by the end of the year. Is that acceptable?"

Davy was shocked. "Tonight, we celebrate."

"Don't go overboard with the booze. From first thing tomorrow, it's business and hard work. I see you to the door."

Neither Davy nor Angie said a word until they were clear of the building. "Will Smith keep his word if I go along with this?"

"You'll have achieved the objective, but I'm sure the bastard will want his pint of blood."

"Why? I've kept my part of the bargain. He said, get the information on this drugs' cartel, and I'm a free man."

"He'll say what you want to hear. Remember that bastard can dispose of you in an instant. The dead never complain. Let's play his game until we are ready to run."

Davy needed time to think. Angie was right. Play the game and stay alive. Later, when they had money, it might be possible to run and hide. He squeezed Angie's hand. "Let's go back to my flat."

***

Janice pressed the keys on her mobile. "Hi, Jimmy, I need more information on our Mr Harman-Smith and where he works?"

He chuckled. "God almighty, Janny, I might as well grab 'im by the balls and bring 'im to you. Tell yer what, I'll do a bit of snooping on me own and see what I can come up wiv. Normal rates."

"Yes, but nothing against the law."

"Me, Janny? I'm as onest as the day is long." He was still laughing when the call ended.

While talking, a thought crossed her mind. It might be a government centre, but an ordnance survey map of the location might reveal more information.

One telephone call and her secretary brought the most up-to-date map she could find to her office.

Janice studied it in detail, but it wasn't easy to pinpoint the narrow lane that led to the centre. It took time to figure out there was nothing there. She noted the date of issue, October 2004. She grabbed her coat, left the office and walked to the local library. In the extensive reference section were copies of maps dating back centuries. With the help of a librarian, she found several dating from 1950 onwards. A 1962 publication gave her the information she needed. The Americans had built an underground command centre at the exact location while they operated from RAF Brize Norton. She studied the map whilst myriad different thoughts rampaged through her mind: three lost sailors, a bank robbery, a missing person, a funeral for the wrong man, and the mysterious Harman Smith. It made no sense. For now, she would be patient.