Chapter Five

Davy showered and changed into navy blue shorts along with an open-necked, short-sleeved light blue shirt. He sprawled across a sunbed on the balcony and relaxed. Angie stayed in the room; he raised his voice to talk. "Tomorrow we find that woman."

"Fine."

The following morning, after breakfast, they hired a Shogun four-wheel drive and went in search of Joan's hotel. It took over an hour to find. Without hesitating, they strolled through reception. A table on the raised terrace but near the swimming pool gave them a good vantage point.

Davy sat and read a newspaper, pausing to stop a waiter. "Could I have a large San Mig and one fresh orange, please?" The drinks arrived, and he sipped his while reading and watching. With a peep over the top of his paper, he saw and heard Joan ushering her trio of brats to the poolside. He did notice that her bikini had a problem containing her ample bosom. Other women expressed their disapproval as they berated their partners for staring.

Davy made eye contact as she sat on a sunbed, put on a pair of sunglasses and began reading a book. Her children ran off, screaming to the play pool. She took off her glasses, turned and winked at him. This could almost be pleasurable, he decided, once he got rid of the kids. She was not that old, thirty-five, perhaps.

"Time we made a move," said Angie as carried the remains of her drink across to where Joan lay. "Mind if we join you?"

Joan "Suit yourself."

Davy followed placing his drink on the table next to Joan.

Angie remained standing.

"Fancy a drink?" Davy asked. "I know it's early, but what the hell, you're on holiday."

"Yes, please; a large Bloody Mary with ice."

Davy beckoned to a waiter. "How about you, Angie?"

She shook her head. "I'm driving and have a migraine coming on."

"Why don't you go back to the hotel and rest?"

Angie glared at him. "That's a great idea. I'll see you at dinner tonight at eight; don't be late." She strolled away as if in a mood.

"You should go and see if she's okay," said Joan.

"I really can't be bothered. These days she's always the same." He had finished his drink and ordered another two.

"Are you trying to get me tipsy?" asked Joan. A hint of wickedness formed her smile.

"Not in the least, you're a married woman." His eyes scanned his surroundings. "Not a bad hotel, this. Great that the bar is next to the pool. What more could a man want?"

After a few more Bloody Marys, Joan told him her life story. She had married at sixteen and soon discovered that her husband's idea of overtime was sleeping with her best friend. While he played away, she did the same until he left.

The waiter arrived with their drinks. Davy gave him a twenty Euro note and told him to keep the change.

"And the three children?"

"My second husband." She yawned, closed her eyes, and was asleep in seconds.

From the pool, her three children appeared. "Let your mum rest. She's tired after the journey and taking care of you lot. Do you fancy playing the game machines?"

"Mum told us not to talk to strangers," said Tommy.

He lowered his head to their level. "I'm not a stranger. Remember, I helped your mum at the airport, and the machines are over there in the lounge. You can return to your mum at any time."