cryptic

"Its been a while, Jung Wheein." She said, a smile painted on her lips.

"Yong..." I said, trying not to stutter.

She let go of my hand and held the hem of her blouse. She stood straight and looked at my side.

"It's really nice to meet you again and you have a company with you." She retorted, smiling at Chaeyoung.

I stood anxiously and turned my head to Chaeyoung, who is still holding Sowhee. I signaled her to come forward.

"Hi, it's nice to finally meet you, Ms. Kim Yongsun." She said, reaching for unnie's hand.

Unnie took it and shook it rather firmly.

"Hello, it's my pleasure to meet you. Teacher Sun is okay and I'm sorry but how should I address you?" She inquired curiously.

"Just Chaeng." Chae answered and took a step back just beside me.

"Uhm, its really nice to meet you again but I'm kinda in a hurry. I'll see you around, Wheein." She said while she was giving me a brief look before turning to Chae again. Is she avoiding me?

"And Chaeng." She dismissed before giving Arhee a pat on the head and bid her goodbye.

We stood there looking at her back. Arhee took my hand and cheerfully hopped in place.

"Is she her, mommy? Is she her?" She giggly asked.

"Yes, its her."

On the way to the car, I was silent. They were chatting and catching up. The kids were elated to have Chae around. She was stealing glances at me but I was not paying too much attention. I was preoccupied.

"Alright, settle down." I said when we reached the car. I opened the backseat door and settled the kids on their respective car seats.

Chae went to the passenger seat and settled down too. I sat straight on the driver seat before I turned to the kids.

"Byulie is not home. So is Seulgi bear. She's in the hospital so it's just the 3 of us." I told them. Chae turned her head to me in a flash.

"What happened to Seulgi bear, mommy? Is she sick?" Arhee asked, worry in her voice.

"Not exactly but remember when Bea needs to wear something on her ankle? It's the same for Seulgi unnie." I explained.

"Oh, should we visit her mommy and give her fruits so she gets well? We gave Bea fruits when she was in the hospital before." Sowhee stated genuinely.

"I don't think Seulgi bear will stay at the hospital for long, baby. I'll ask Byulie if we can visit, okay?" I dismissed and turned my head on the steering wheel and started the engine. But before I step on the gas, Chae asked.

"Should I stay with you tonight?"

The girls were surprised and so was I. I looked at her intently asking if she is serious.

"What?" I asked.

"Its just the three of you. I can accompany you at uhm the place you are staying at or we can stay at my place for the night. I have no one else with me." she said, rambling.

I stared at her.

"Chae, were at Byul unnie's house. We can't just invite someone over." I answered.

The girls were looking at us warily.

"Then we can stay at my house. You can use the guest ro--"