Chapter Three

According to public opinion, Lucinda Talkalot was a slut

According to public opinion, Lucinda Talkalot was a slut. Or a whore, if that's the word you prefer. Slag was also thrown around quite a bit. She was just a little fourth-year, yet she had managed to get such a reputation already. The older students, who had to be so much more mature, definitely looked down on her. The younger students all swore to themselves that they would never be like her. 

And why was she such a slag, you may ask? Well, Lucinda Talkalot had done the unthinkable. She had shagged a boy in a broom closet, only for him to get back with his ex-girlfriend the very next day. 

Alexander Avery floated above it all, and everybody thought he was so cool for it. Not only was he dating Emma Vanity, who was smart and gorgeous and a sixth-year, he had also taken the virginity of Lucinda Talkalot. A fourth-year boy really couldn't get any cooler than that. 

If Lucinda was smarter, then she probably would have kept her head down and acted like none of this ever happened. It would have all blown over quite quickly. But Lucinda wasn't the type of person to let things go. 

"I wish you'd let me hex him," Lyra told her, glaring heatedly in Alexander's direction. "I could, you know. I know a lot of hexes. I could write my sister and ask if she knows any good curses, too."

"I'd rather not be the witness to your crazy sister's curses," Lucinda snorted, grabbing another roll as they sat together in the Great Hall. She knew enough about Lyra's older sister, Bellatrix Lestrange, to know that she'd rather not be involved in this. 

Her blonde best friend was quick to protest. "She's not-"

Lucinda gave her a blank look, because they both knew very well that she was right. If there was one former Hogwarts student there were rumours about, it was Bellatrix. "She's crazy."

Lyra shrugged, knowing there was no way to argue. "Yeah, you're right. She's a little crazy. But that doesn't mean I can't hex him, Lucinda. He deserves it, the twat."

"No, don't hex him, I can handle it," Lucinda said sternly, though fighting a smile, which was threatening to show how much she truly loved the idea. But it wasn't worth either of them getting into trouble. "But thank you for offering."

"Of course, I'm always going to take the chance to practice a good hex," she joked, giggling. Though it was meant as a joke, Lucinda thought it was probably true. Lyra was nothing if not ambitious and hard-working, and she probably wouldn't have minded getting to practice a bit on Avery.

"Thanks." Lucinda smiled shortly, practically ending the conversation, though she did have much more to say. 

Lucinda wanted to talk to Lyra about why all this was happening. She wanted to know her thoughts about why Avery refused to even talk to her, why he only ignored her and told everybody that they shagged in a broom closet (which was true) and that she was a slut (which wasn't true, because she felt that word was quite harsh).