Chapitre 5

Chapitre 5

"The painting's magnificent."

I looked at the painting which was placed in the center of the Great Hall. It has almost the same height as me and it contains a portrait of me wearing the Crown Jewels of England.

On the far left are where the past Kings and Queens' portraits were placed. This is where the sovereigns from Great Britain are set and can be known.

"You do look like your mother, Your Grace."

I looked beside me where Lady Ysabeau was observing a family portrait of us. Charles and I were still seven as we were beside mother and father on the portrait. It was the only painting where we are complete.

I looked at it. Mother and I have the same shade of hair colour, Venetian red. She has hazel eyes while Charles and I have sky blue which we adopted from father. Charles and father also look exactly alike as they both have blonde hair.

I missed them.

"Months after this painting, mother died due to dysentery..." I said.

I reminisced the memory like it was just yesterday. Who knew even after eleven years the pain was still the same?

That's why I'm completely incredulous that time heals all wounds. It doesn't.

You just learned to live past them as to treat them like they're not there anymore when it obviously still is.

I immediately shook my head before walking away and on to the grand stairway.

"The famine issue was handled properly, Your Grace. The workers are trying to salvage the remaining crops in order to harvest new ones before winter."

I nodded, "Very well. How about the problem at the London border? Are the savages still trying to enter the kingdom?"

"We did not receive any news whatsoever. I believe it is being taken care of by the knights."

Well, the problems are handled quite well then.

Suddenly, I stopped mid-step when I remembered something.

"Do you have any information about the prisoner that escaped yesterday?"

She looked at me confusedly. To think I allotted time to think of a mere prisoner must shock her.

"I have no news about him, milady. Sir Alexander manages the problems in the dungeons so I think it's best to ask him."

I nodded, feeling vacuous for even asking that question.

"Very well. I think I better go to my chambers to rest."

With that, I walked at a fast pace until I reached my chamber. Margaery and Amanda was already there as they helped me clean up and prepare myself for bed.

After taking a quick bath and changing into much more comfortable clothes, I went to my bed.

The cushion felt so soft as I lay my body after a tiresome day. I don't think I would ever get used to this.

Just when I was about to sleep, I opened my eyes as I lay sideways and open the drawer from the table beside my bed.

When I found it, I took out the letter I've been hiding as I reread the words left by him on the day of my birthday and coronation.

I was still unsure how he got inside my chamber without the guards seeing him. But then, I was confused about why he was locked up in the dungeon.

What did he do wrong?