【chapter 1】

Calypso's POV

I woke up to the sound of my alarm blaring. I reached my hand weakly over to press the snooze button, but then I remembered that this was the day that Mrs. Conzaho was expecting all hands on deck. I jumped out of bed, but I had to stop for a few minutes  to rub the sleep out of my eyes. I peeled then open with my fingers and just started getting ready. I put on a simple cropped white knitted sweater with some gold threading sewn in, and some jeans. I slipped on some sneakers, and went to wake up Zoë.

"Zoë, c'mon we have to get to work and school!!" she groaned.

 "Callie let me sleep pleeeeeease" she begged through a muffled tone. "No, Zoë Titan lets go!!" she glared at me.

 "You are such a mom" I rolled my eyes. Zoë could be such a teenager sometimes. To be fair, I was only nineteen, and I was a mood a lot too, but it was more annoying because she was my younger sister. 

Normally, on Thursdays I would stay home and take care of the house and groceries. But today my boss wanted everyone to come. Normally on Thursdays I would still be in bed with my glasses on reading the Lunar Chronicles with some coffee. Oh, how I hate whichever celebrity booked out the entirety of the Crossroads Cafe. 

I quickly made  some toast for Zoë, and grabbed a granola bar for myself, and finished getting ready. Zoë was 14, but she was smart for her age, so she is a sophomore. I am working at the cafe so I can go to New York University. I've always wanted to go there. But ever since mom died and dad-I don't want to think about that.

I put my hair in plaits and then checked up on Zoë. "You ready Zo?" I asked. "Yeah. Lets go" she said. I grabbed my wallet and house key, and Zoë grabbed hers, and we walked out of the apartment to wait for the bus. 

I was still groggy when the bus pulled up in front of us,  and we got on. I tipped the driver and sat down in the closest empty seat. I was thinking about my friends at the cafe. Gracelyn was probably still asleep. She was lucky though. Her spaghetti strand hair was easily tamed and pulled back, and her brown eyes were always wide open. 

Piper was probably procrastinating.  Most likely with Jason, her upper class boyfriend who had random bursts of personality, but only if it was about squirrels (weird, I know) He worked for some business tycoon prodigy. Then Annabeth, who was definitely already there, working. She doesn't sleep at all. She has a boyfriend Percy, who is also upper class. He works for the same prodigy guy that Jason does. Piper told me that the kid actually introduced her to Jason, because they were friends in middle school. Same thing with Annabeth. 

Then there was me. My boyfriend was a guy named Drake, who I was mortally terrified of. When Zoe was at debate club, he would hit me. It was torture. 

The bus stopped at the cafe, and I waved to Zoe. I got off the bus and ran across the street, holding up my hand to the awful New York traffic. I got to the sidewalk, where the outdoor tables were waiting to be set. I opened the door and walked in. I heard Annabeth call "Moooorning Callie. How are you on this fine, disgusting day??" I laughed. "Annabeth, you know that I can tell you just spent the night with Percy when you talk that way." She smirked and blushed. "What can I say?" I rolled my eyes. 

I got my apron off it's hook in the staff room, and walked out to the counter. "Is Mrs. Conzaho here yet?" I asked, looking in the back to see if she was in her office working. "No, I was here first." Annabeth said, sounding half impressed with herself, half used to being impressed with herself. I rolled my eyes. They were starting to hurt from all this rolling.

I was walking out past the counter, when I hit my thigh on the corner of the counter. "Shit!" I whisper yelled. Annabeth looked over at me with sympathy. "Cal, you good?" I nodded. In fact, I was not fine. My thigh was throbbing. I remembered last night with Drake, and the bat he had wanted to "try out" on me.