Chapter 1: Just By Chance

🌹 Chapter 1: Just By Chance

"Thanks for the ride, Lee." I step out of the car after I've given Leah a big teddy hug.

"No problemo. I'll call you when I get back from Ibyza. You enjoy your holiday!" She waves blatantly at me before starting the engine and drive away.

I smile, waving back until she's completely out of sight. Ibyza, jeez... A place I can't afford to go to. Not now, not ever in a thousand years.

I walk inside only to find my mother busy in the kitchen. "Hey sweetie, how was school?"

"Like usual." I shrug and grab an apple from the fruit bowl before heading upstairs. I plump down on bed and turn on the TV.

"Crown Prince Zachary from Logoria and Crown Princess Gwendoline from Swandor seem to be planning on tying the knot. So tell me Mrs. Conrad, when exactly..."

Marriage, huh? Whatever. I switch the channel when suddenly the door to my room opens and my mother walks inside.

"Yes?" I pretend to be stupid and not knowing why she came. She just smiles at me while crossing her arms and wait for me to get off my but. I groan softly as I walk to my closet and change into my dungarees.

It's time to help Daddy on the field.

"Hey Harry boy, how ya doin?" I say as I approach my father. Always working his ass off and yet, he doesn't show any form of fatigue. Smiling is something typical Harold.

"Howdy, darling. How nice of you to come and help me." He says while looking up.

"I know right." I take a deep breath before putting on a pair of garden gloves.

A couple of hours later I'm sitting on the windowsill in my room watching the sunset. I cannot recall seeing such a sundown in many a long time. It makes me feel like something big is going to change soon. Something in my ordinary lifestyle. For a split second, I feel like I'm in heaven. Free and nothing to worry about. I think back to when I was a child, when I wanted to become a princess with tiaras and beautiful puffy gowns. I chuckle at the thought.

"Silly me."

A little while after I get up and go to bed. Finally, it's summer break!

--

The next morning, I wake up and make my way downstairs. There I find my dad reading the daily newspaper while my mom's putting freshly brewed coffee on the table, like always.

"Morning." I greet them as I make myself comfortable with a blanket on the couch. Just then, the doorbell rings.

"Who could that be at this early hour?" My mom says as she looks at the watch on her wrist.

"Let's find out." My dad shrugs and heads towards the door. I simply keep doing what I was doing... Watching TV.
Soon after my relaxing moment gets interrupted as two men walk inside dressed like... uh, I don't know what to call it. I'll stick to the word 'formal'.

They mumble some things to each other, keeping a straight face meanwhile. Glad my sense of hearing is doing perfectly well.

"She doesn't look like her Rich."

"There's only one way to find out."

One of the men clears his throat and shakes hands with my father. "Good morning Mr. Blackburn, I presume?"

My dad gives him a wonder-stricken face, narrowing his eyes slightly. I just have to admit, the sight of my dad's facial expression is hi-lar-i-ous. "Yes... How did you-"