Chapter 3: The Grand Ball (Part 1)

🌹 Chapter 3: The Grand Ball (Part 1)

I follow the maid into the giant room I woke up in. I gape at all of the fancy decoration that seems prohibitively expensive, still not being able to believe I'm actually here.

"Miss, please allow me to give you a makeover that will transform you into a dazzlingly beautiful lady." She says with a sincere smile on her face as she waits for me at the other side of the room. I'm not offended by what she just said, I'm merely asking...

"What, you think I'm not beautiful enough?" I know I'm not perfection. Far from it actually. But still, what's wrong with the way I look? Her eyes widen and she starts shaking her head countlessly.

"No, no! I didn't mean it like that. You're beautiful just the way you are, Miss Vanderbilt. I-"

Stop the hell calling me that...

"Blackburn."

"M-Miss Blackburn." The maid corrects herself quickly, stuttering while doing so. "Please forgive me."

I give her a confused look as I slowly approach her. "Apologize? What for?" I roll my eyes before chuckling slightly. These people... "Anyway, let's just get this over and done with." I say and sit down in the rolling chair beside a mirrored wall.

"Of course." She nods and takes out something that looks like a to-do list. "Now before we start, I would like you to specify your height, weight, bra size, waist width, and clothing size.

"Uh..."

Yeah, the truth is I don't really know. The maid studies my face, then realizes I'm clueless. "I'm guessing you need some help."

"Well, if it weren't obvious..." I laugh sheepishly and let her measure my sizes. A little while later I sit back in the chair again when a row of maids line up in front of me with each one of them holding a dress.

Holy crap.

The minutes after are chaos. At least, to me it is. Makeup gets applied on my face like I'm some cosmetic experiment in Barbie's Wonderful Beauty Salon and my hair is being brushed multiple times before a maid curls it. After having tried a hundred of different dresses, I finally find one that all maids agree with. Yes, they all had to agree on the same dress... If I were to have a say in it, I would choose the very first one. I'm not that picky, they're all gorgeous.

So now it's time to see the result. What would they have done to me? I'm secretly pretty nervous right now. Both in an anxious yet exciting way. I turn around, only to see... "Wow."

I'm wearing a long strapless dress in the color between taupe and sage. A golden silk drapes along the skin of my bare legs as I look into the mirror in front of me. The soft fabric graces my body in a dainty way together with aqua-colored stripes that find themselves all over the dress in a swirling pattern. My hair has been pulled up into a romantic side-swept upstyle adorned with a stunning golden bridal hair vine. I feel like a princess, one I could only dream of just a day ago.

"One more thing, Miss Blackburn." I hear the maid say from behind me. The second I turn to face her I find myself face to face with a pair of frickin' 5-inch heels!

"There's no way I'm going to wear those!" I counter as my eyes widen in surprise.

"I'm sorry, you have no choice but to." The maid replies. "Order from Sir Chandler." She quickly adds after having received a death glare from me.

"Excuse me, Miss Blackburn has been requested to be downstairs in 5 minutes. Sir Chandler is leaving soon." Another maids walks in and bows neatly before exiting again.