One

You know when you wake up in the morning, and you already feel in the air that something is wrong?
Well, today was one of those days.

     I woke up, my whole body aching. Probably because I slept on concrete all night in a parking garage. Someone stole my damn pillow.

     Groaning, I stretch and then pop my neck multiple times before yawning.

     I glance at the clock in the car beside me. 8:34.. I better get moving. Especially if I don't want to get caught. People around here aren't very friendly to the less fortunate.

     Yawning, unable to remember the last time I got a good nights sleep, I shove my sleeping bag into my backpack before slinging the straps over my shoulders.

     My name is Jo Price. I was named Jordyn, but after being kicked out by my alcoholic father after being abused for however many years.. it's just Jo.

About two months ago, mass chaos erupted. I lost most of my family to biters. Ended up having to put them down myself as I was by myself when I found them.

Before I left when he kicked me out, though, I stole my moms gun and some ammunition from her old bedside table.
Not like he's gonna miss it.

A deep breath escapes my lips as I run my hand over my gun, which is always resting against my thigh in my gun holster.
     Call me basic, but it's easier to grab in dire situations.

     Peeking around the corner of the parking garage, hand over the grip of my gun, preparing for the worst.

     As I step out, thinking the coast is clear, I hear screaming. Not too far southeast.

     My eyes widen, and I take a couple steps backwards before bolting off in the opposite direction, my heart pounding.
     Everyone with common sense knows when you hear screaming, it's too late for them. And you should run, because there's biters nearby. And they'll probably find you too if you're not quick to get out of there. The sense of smell on those fuckers is unbelievable.

     I look behind me as I round a corner, then slow my sprint to a jog.

     Plan for today.. find a store that has food and water. I'm starving, and haven't had clean water in days.

     Huffing, I slow my jog to a walk as I come up to a 7-eleven. Surely there'll be some stuff left there.

     As I walk up, I notice figures in the building.
It hasn't been cleared of biters. That's usually a good sign nobody's swept it.

     I pull my gun out of the holster as I put my back up against the wall, and near the door.

     Muffled voices suddenly become audible, and my stomach drops for the second time today already.
It's okay. Just kill them when they come out.. no, be peaceful- ah fuck it.

     I bolt around the corner of the store just as the door opens, my heart hammering and my gun still in my hand.

     "Did you hear that?" I hear a mans voice ask.

     "Hear what?" A second voice asks, also a mans voice just a bit deeper.

     "Fucking shut up guys, there's biters everywhere. I'm sure that's what you heard. Stay alert." A third voice warns before they all go quiet.

     I quickly step to the side, working my way towards the back of the building before someone walks up and looks around the corner of the building, in turn making direct eye contact with me.

     "Oh sh- wait!" He shouts as I bolt in the opposite direction.
For some reason, whenever I have the chance to choose fight or flight, I always choose flight.
     Probably because there's three random men who just discovered me, who could very well have intentions to kill me.

     "Man, shut up! Just get her, she won't-" I don't hear the rest as I've gotten some distance away. With a quick glance over my shoulder, though, I realize one's chasing me.

     Fuck!

     Panicking, I sprint into a random store without checking it.

     As I pull the door shut, I hear shuffling steps coming from behind me. I spin around, already knowing there's zombies.

     I turn to face one directly behind me, and a scream erupts from my throat.
This is it. This is where I die.

     I close my eyes, knowing I won't fire in time. Just as I feel the zombie clasp it's rotting hand on my shoulder, a gunshot sounds off, followed by glass shattering and the biter goes limp.

     I open my eyes and look down at it, dark, almost black blood oozing out of the gunshot.

     Just before I can descend deeper into the store, the door swings open and I'm yanked back by my backpack.

     "Hey- what the fuck?!" I shout, immediately pulling myself free from his grip and pointing my gun at him.
     "Leave me the hell alone, or get shot." I threaten, my finger over the safety of my gun.

     "I just fucking saved your life, you should be thanking me, not threatening to kill me." He says, his eyes narrowing.

     "Chase!" I hear someone's voice to our right.

     I look over, seeing the two other men jogging in our direction, guns in hand.

     "If you guys follow me, I'll kill all three of you." I hiss, before glancing over once more as I yank myself free from his grip, and turn and start running.

     "Hey! What the fuck man?!" One shouts.

     I look over my shoulder, only to see one man pointing his gun at me.
Fuck.
I dart around a corner right as the gun goes off. The sound must have been heard from at least a mile away.

     "Stay there! Both of you!" I hear a man bark orders. One of them that ran up after Chase. Or so they called him.

     As I hear the footsteps grow closer, I turn and start running again.

     "Hey, wait!"