z i p p e r

Oct . 10

"Guys focus!" Miller was standing up from his drum set waving his arms like a mad man, drums sticks in hand. "We did great at our last gig so I expect you guys to take this one just as seriously."

"It's some girls sweet 16 I think we're fine how we are." Akira gave an overexaggerated wink.

I rolled my eyes, "shut up dickhead."

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding!"

"Please focus or I will come over and personally stick this drumstick up your ass." Miller threatened with his sticks waving at us.

"Calm down pretty boy we'll focus." Smirked Tate.

The first song on our setlist was of a special request by the birthday girl, Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? by the Arctic Monkeys. I had to give her props for her choice in the setlist, which mainly consisted of Miley Cyrus, Arctic Monkeys, Lorde, The Neighborhood, and 5sos, all artists I enjoyed myself. 

Our band still stuck to what we knew, covers of popular rock or pop songs. I actually hadn't told any of them yet but I had been working on writing an original song for the band. It was meant to be a rock song inspired by my boyfriend, although I was having quite the writer's block. 

Me and Tate were not on speaking terms again and only interacted when forced to at practice. Yes, I had fucked things up and messed up our friendship but I was drunk and not thinking straight, literally. I literally wasn't thinking straight. If I weren't so damn confused and embarrassed I would have found this funny. You know it's not even my fault I'm confused in the first place, she was the one who kissed me first even tho she knew I had a boyfriend. God, I had to stop thinking about her and just forget it ever happened. 

We wrapped up our practice after running through the setlist twice and we felt ready to perform.

Akira was already beginning to pack up, "you sounded great baby," he looked up from the amp he was packing up to give me an affirmative nod. 

Tate was busy with her head down zipping up her guitar case but muttered, "yeah great job today." 

She appeared frustrated, letting out a puff of hot air. I glanced up at her to see that she was fiddling with the zipper on her case that was caught on some material. The rest of the band was busy finishing loading the band, and although I had made a promise to not think about Tate there was no harm in helping her out with this. 

I got up from my stool and hesitantly made my way to stand in front of her, "you need some help there? I mean I have incredibly small hands so you know maybe I could help or you know..."

Tate let out a small chuckle and placed the case into my outstretched hand. 

"You're rambling but yes thank you."

"Shit sorry I just wasn't sure If you were mad at me," I mumbled while fiddling with the zipper, "I'll shut up now."

"I'm not mad at you."

"Oh. Well, I um fixed the zipper." I handed the case back to her and rushed to the door to escape further embarrassment. 

"Thanks, by the way."