三 | 入学試験

"Hitoshi! C'mon, we're gonna be late!" Called a now fifteen-year-old Ayane, dressed in her middle school uniform and a coat. "Yeah yeah, I'm coming," Hitoshi lazily replied, walking down the stairs. "Shouldn't you be more excited? Today is the UA entrance exam." Hitoshi gave a soft smile, something that really only occurred between the two. "Are you actually going to try? Or even use your quirk?"

"Dunno, depends. We'll see how fun it is first," Ayane replied. That's right, Hitoshi still didn't know about Ayane, only that she had a brutal past (Ayane didn't see it that way, but Hitoshi and the rest of the family thought it was the most traumatizing thing). On the other hand, Ayane did know about Hitoshi's quirk, as she was bound to find out eventually.

——

Ayane sat in her elementary school seat, bored. The lessons were okay, somewhat easy for the girl, but socializing was the absolute worst. She didn't have any friends other than Hitoshi, and even their relationship was questionable. Were they really even friends? They had gotten off to an awkward start when meeting, so he was rather closed off around her. But she didn't blame him, she was just as awkward.

"Wow Shinsou! Your quirk is seriously cool, just don't use it on me, 'kay?" A girl said as a few other kids surrounded him. Ayane perked up at this, slightly curious. "Haha, yeah, sure..." Hitoshi awkwardly responded. "Yeah man, with that ability you could easily become a villain," a boy remarked. "Yeah, but you could easily get away with anything! You could rob your favorite store and no one would even know!" The girl countered.

It was painfully obvious at that point that Hitoshi was uncomfortable, so Ayane decided to step in. "Hey," she spoke lowly. The two kids immediately cowered before her gaze. Yeah, just about everyone was afraid of her. Ayane didn't know why, but apparently she just gave off a scary aura."Z-Zol!" (Ayane kept her last name, Zoldyck, which people found hard to pronounce, so they just called her Zol for short) "You're bothering him. Can you like, leave him alone?"

"O-okay!" And with that, they scurried away. The two children sighed, turning to each other. "Thanks, I needed a breath of fresh air there," Hitoshi thanked, rubbing the back of his head awkwardly. In truth, he felt nervous around the girl. Was it because of her background? (He didn't, however, know that she was an assassin) Maybe because of her scary demeanor sometimes? No, it was because of their first meeting.

Hitoshi had actually felt eager when he met her. He had hoped for a fresh start considering she didn't know his quirk. He had prayed that he would find a friend that would be his friend (or not) simply because of his ability. People always said it was villainous, and that really set him off. He didn't want to be associated with that trash. No, what he wanted more than anything was to be a hero. But then she had gone and said she wasn't really a fan of heroes, and Hitoshi had suddenly felt ten times more nervous. Would she approve of his dream? Would she call him a villain just like the other kids?

"Are you okay? You're spacing out," Ayane pointed out. "Oh, sorry."

"What was that about?" Ayane wondered, resting her hands behind her head. Hitoshi turned away, embarrassed. "...They think I'll be a villain..." he whispered, but Ayane had trained her senses, so she heard everything. "A villain, huh. Why's that?" Hitoshi squeezed his eyes shut. This was it, the moment the only real chance at a friend he would loose. "Because my quirk is evil..." Ayane couldn't help but burst out laughing at this, leaving Hitoshi both confused and hurt. He thought she was laughing at him.

"Evil? Hahaha! I'm sorry, that's just too funny!" She laughed, wiping a tear from her eye. "Oh, you think so...?" He asked sadly, eyes downcast. "Don't misread the situation, I wasn't laughing at you. Sorry if you thought that way," Ayane apologized, still chuckling. Hitoshi looked up, slightly surprised. "...You weren't?"