24 - REAL LIFE

You gripped your phone tightly, staring at the screen as your chest began to contract. 

As you were reading the E! article, Tom's profile picture filled the screen as he tried to call you. You quickly declined the call and continued reading, but Tom called you again. You declined the call again and tossed your phone onto your bed, tears already streaming down your face. 

~ ~ ~ 

". . . didn't even mean it, right?" You took a shaky breath as you waited for your friend's response on the other line of the phone. 

"Have you talked to him yet?" 

"No." 

"Well. . . maybe call him later tonight once you've called down?" 

"Calmed down?! What-" 

"No, wait, I'm on your side! If I was in your shoes, I'd be furious, too. But don't call him angry, you know? Just wait until you're in control of your emotions, that's all." They took a deep breath. "You know Tom. He wouldn't cheat on you. But. . ." Your chest tightened. 

"But what?" 

"I know that you're thinking about him cheating on Zendaya." There was a pause. "I'm sorry you're going through this. Even if it is all Casey's fault." You quickly wiped a tear away from your face. 

"Yeah, well. . ." Your voice trailed off. 

"You'll be ok, alright?" 

"Yeah." 

~ ~ ~ 

It was three hours after your call to your best friend that you were ready to talk to Tom. You looked at your screen and saw all the missed calls from Tom. You knew that Tom wouldn't cheat on you. 

Right? 

He had told you that he loved you, and Casey had made it clear that she wanted to be with Tom. This had to be her doing. 

Right? 

Taking a deep breath, you unlocked your phone and called Tom, your heart pounding in your chest. 

"Y/N!" Tom said before the first ring had even finished. "Please let me explain-" 

"It was Casey, wasn't it?" you asked. 

"Yes, of course it was! I wouldn't do that to you. I wouldn't cheat on you! You know that, right?" You didn't answer immediately. "Y/N?" Tom's voice broke at your silence. 

"I know. . ." 

"Then why don't you sound sure? Is this because I left Zendaya, and now you think I'm going to leave you?" 

"I-" 

"I've already told you, that isn't going to happen! I love you, Y/N!" 

"Then why do I have all this doubt?!" you cried. "If you love me, why do I keep thinking that you're going to leave me?" You took a shaky breath, tears brimming in your eyes. 

"Y/N. . ." Tom's voice trailed off. "I don't know what you want me to do. Do you want me to cut ties with Casey's dad? Will that help? Or should I just take a break from work for a while? What can I do to prove to you that I love you?" 

"I think that maybe we should take a break," you said quietly. 

"W-what?" 

"I think that we should stop seeing each other for a while." 

"But. . . what do you mean? For how long?" 

"Until. . ." Your voice trailed off. "I don't know. Until. . ." There was a tense moment of silence. 

"Y/N. . ." Tom's voice broke again. "I'm sorry I've made you feel this way. I'll be waiting for you." He ended the call as a tear raced down your cheek.