Chapter 1 - The Phone Call

"What is it mother? You have the oddest look on your face".

"That was your brother."

"How is Cade doing?"

"No honey, it was Christopher."

"I thought he called you every Sunday" she replied.

"He does – that is why you see this strange look on my face. He has only called a few times outside of Sunday in the past three years and he was always in pain. I remember hearing that tone in his voice the first time when he and his partner went into a house after Katrine and found a whole family of seven dead. Then when Savannah was killed. Then again when that woman tricked him with the little boy. The last time was when one of the New Orleans cops working with his team was assassinated in a car bombing."

"He asked about everyone I knew. When I asked why he had called he said that he 'just wanted to hear my voice'. I know my son. Something is wrong."

"I still remember when he finally decided that he was going to move to New Orleans. You were too young to realize that he had made a lot of decision in that six-year time frame. That girl was so in love with Chris. I know what living in the 'country' can do with young people, but I was not happy that he was so involved with that girl at such a young age. We were able to convince him to go ahead and go to his beloved Alabama. He was so active on campus that he did not have time to think about her. But every summer here she came, and I counted the days until he went back to Tuscaloosa."

"Her parents gave her a trip to Europe for a graduation present. I knew that Chris wanted to go to the police academy and convinced him to go to the state law enforcement academy in Louisiana. She went on to graduate school when she came back. Chris joined the New Orleans police department then after several years went to work for NCIS."

"Early in his time with the Agency, he was given an overseas assignment. I was sure he would find some 'young thing' somewhere else, but your brother Cade messed that up when he ran into Savannah when he went to New Orleans to try to get himself together. You saw him when he came back to bury her. He will always blame himself for her being at his house that day that that monster came after him and shot the poor girl dead."

"I will wait a couple days and call him. Maybe he will be more open to talk then."

"Okay momma. I have to go get the girls from their grandpa Beau's."

"Bye honey and give them a hug for me."