Part 6

10th August, 2000

It wasn't the first time. This one had blossomed exactly as the ones before it. It was completely dreary and wilted, swaying meekly along with the light breeze. Maybe the seeds are defective. I should probably throw it away then. With hopes lost and head bowed down, I gently picked the pot of my first cherry plant and carried it to my room from the garden. Not able to bear the thought of demolishing it, I placed it gently atop my window sill and watched it with tears in my eyes, until sleep swallowed me up in its darkness.

That's one of the most vivid memories I have of my childhood, this one specifically being the reason for the utter helplessness I felt when I was eleven years of age. It was the first plant I'd ever planted and as Mommy had asked me to, it was placed in a pot outside in our garden. After every few minutes I used to go out and talk to it for a while and then run back in, reciting our conversation of fantasy in hurried excitement to my mom. Mommy would just listen to me patiently and nod. But there was no smile. Not even once.

Cherryseth is that same old plant that had left me feeling defeated once upon a time. To this date, I think of her survival as being a miracle of some sort. At that time, Cherryseth had grown to a massive height, but there was none to help me sow it into the garden soil. That was probably the reason behind it's defective growth. All my dreams were crushed seeing her in such a state because she was the only one who would accompany me at all times even if it just meant me blabbering to an unhearing living thing. Mommy was always in a state of depression after Dad left and Tim bro never payed attention towards me. And Dad never returned.

So Cherryseth began sprouting shriveled seeds which never bore any flower and so what was supposed to be a sturdy tree kind of looked like a beaten up scarecrow, all crooked and wilting.

Have I been writing a tad too much? I guess so. Possibly because of my bad day in school today. I'll continue Cherryseth's story another day maybe. Good night.