Phase 1: Chapter 3

Newt is still hovering over me, waiting for me to finally get up. Alby on the other hand is already a couple of meters away; perhaps to give me some space to get ready. I sit up, put my boots on, tie my shoelaces and finally am out of bed.

"That took ya long enough Maddy!" Newt retorts and starts walking towards Alby. "I know ya have loads of work to do, so do ya want me to give Maddy the tour?" this time addressing Alby.

"Yes please...I need to find out what is happening with Ben," whispers Alby so nobody else can overhear our conversation. "Well, have a good tour then Greenie!" Alby jogs in the other direction until he can no longer be seen.

Newt nudges my shoulder and makes a hand gesture indicating that I should follow his lead. Finally this tour begins!

"So, I strongly advise that no questions should be asked until I'm finished with the tour." He trails off. I nod my head in understanding while Newt continues speaking "We are standing in the middle of the Glade, also the place you came up yesterday. This is called the box. The box comes up once a week bringing supplies and once a month it brings up a new Greenie. This time it was you, however it's the first time we get a girl. Know one thing, in between these walls we are safe...because out there is the maze. There are four doors which are the entrances, however, one of the biggest rules we have in the Glade is that no one is allowed to go in; except for the Runners. Another important rule we have is that everyone has to do their part. As the days go by you will try each one of the six main jobs, and then we will see which one suits you best. The Glade has different sections; the homestead, the deadheads, the bloodhouse and the gardens. I think you understand the purpose each one has, so I will not go into further detail about them. Then, we have something called the slammer, that's pretty much self-explanatory. The slammer is a place where we punish Gladers who disobey our rules. As I mentioned before, do your part and never enter the maze. Our third rule is also really important; never hurt another Glader.

And remember; if ya ain't scared ya ain't bloody human."

Wow...this is a lot to wrap my head around. Newt finishes the tour and a lot of my questions have been answered regarding the structure of this place, however, Newt didn't go into detail about hierarchy in the Glade; which clearly seems to exist. I suppose that I will figure it out sometime.

By the time the tour was over, Newt and I had eaten breakfast. And we are once again settling to eat at one of the wooden tables near the kitchen, this time to eat lunch. Today, Frypan has made chicken with mashed potatoes, which is truly tasty! To my right I see two silhouettes coming our way. I turn around to see two boys I have never seen before.

"Hey there!" both boys say in unison. They seem around the age of seventeen, and both have dark skin.

"Maddy, to your right is Clint, and to your left is Jeff. These are the two Med-Jacks we have in the Glade." Newt states. I find out that Med-Jacks are the doctors, and that Clint is the keeper of them. Of what I understand, keepers are basically the leaders of each job in the Glade. Both Clint and Jeff sit with me and Newt and we talk about various things. After about ten minutes however, they have to leave because someone got hurt.

Newt also has somewhere to go, and it is the first time that I am alone in the Glade since I arrived yesterday. I decide to take a stroll around and investigate more. I am now in front of what I think Newt called the homestead. And that's when I hear loud screams coming from inside.

I quickly check left and right, and when I'm sure that nobody is in sight, I decide to enter; curiosity completely taking over. I follow the screams up to the second floor, and open a door to a room which has a variety of medical supplies. In the middle, there is boy tightly tied on a bed and has green veins popping through his skin as well as bloodshot eyes. I regret coming in the room immediately, the boy suddenly stares directly at me; like a predator looking at his prey.