✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ✿

Lily

The doors finally open wide enough for Gwen and I to enter, and even just walking inside it's... wow. How many more times can I think the word shiny before I start to wonder about how weird of a word it is? I kinda need it to describe everything in this palace.

Two polished and sparkling staircases at the back of this circular room curve and lead up to a balcony, which seems to connect to a hallway on each side. On my left side are four golden doors, each one unique and spaced out evenly from the others. On my right is a huge mirror that doesn't reflect anything, and it actually looks as if it absorbs stuff. Like, light maybe?

On either side of the mirror are more doors, but this glossy room is so huge that the mirror has got to be at least thirty feet away from me and yet the closest thing to me in this room. Even the ceiling is very high up, and it spirals upward until it ends in a point; the main tower of this fairytale castle. The walls look like waterfalls, glimmering brightly and lighting up the whole room. Up near the top, I can see a few lofts and a huge chandelier, but that's not all.

The most breathtaking are the decorations. They're everywhere. There are so many diamonds and crystals engraved and placed in the walls that I wouldn't be able to count them all even if I spent my whole life trying. The stairs at the back of the room look like they're made of cobblestone, pressed together and polished so that they're shiny. More of the light in here is coming from a bunch of tiny fireballs hanging from the ceiling, floating from roots that somehow aren't burning. Now that I'm watching them carefully I can see that they slowly circle around the huge room, staying afloat in the air. The roots end in pretty pink flowers, and the fireball doesn't drape from the brown vines, they're wrapped in them.

It looks as if someone took fire, wind, water, and earth and turned them into decor. How is this possible? It's so beautiful. This is like my dream home now. Not that I want to live here, but I can imagine searching the halls, going through all the doors and exploring. Having a whole new adventure to experience. But, that's not what I'm here for. I don't really know why I'm here in the first place.

While I'm admiring the ceiling and the lights and pretty much everything, the door closes behind us. I glance at it but then face the staircases again, my mouth dropping when I spot something near the balcony. A person. A guy. He's coming towards us, floating down from the balcony. Like, floating. Floating, floating. What in the world? Why am I surprised at this point?

"Lily, meet Steven of the Zephyr." Gwen waves a hand at him and then grabs my arm, dragging me forward. Zephyr was wind, right? So he's a wind dude. It should've taken a while for him to get from the balcony to us, but he flies. Not in a superhero pose like Superman, but just by moving. Moving through the air without falling, walking as if on the floor. That's the only way I can describe it before my thoughts are interrupted. I almost fall over from all the wind that rushes past Gwen and I as he lands right in front of me, and I have to lift up my arms and hold onto her to keep myself standing.

"What's with all the wind?" I snap, squinting at him because of the gale that's still swirling around my face. Once the wind subsides and I see him I freeze, fully focusing on him.

"It's my thing," he laughs, flashing me a nervous smile and holding out his hand for me to shake. "Just call me Steve." He's close enough that I can't escape his gaze, and I study him as I shake his hand. Everything about him seems calm, peaceful... appealing. The way his wavy and light brown hair slightly moves in the wind but then falls back into place again is messy, but in its own kind of cute way.

The way his brown eyes sparkle intrigues me, and his clamshell white sweater seems almost like a blanket in disguise as clothing. I don't understand how he can wear those brown khaki shorts and live in the sky, though. He is the wind guy, right? Wouldn't it be cold? Now that I'm thinking about this, it almost feels tropical here. I haven't felt cold since I've arrived, but I still feel out of place in my jeans and blouse.