✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪx ✿

Lily

The slope downward is getting steeper, which isn't helping me to walk at all. I'm already clumsy enough as it is, and I feel like I'm going to slip on the damp ground and injure myself at any moment. What happened to me and my necklace back when we were fighting the Thaya monster thing, it was terrifying. Earlier today I wouldn't have been able to tell whether this necklace is giving me power or torturing me. Right now, the only thing I'm sure of is that it's full of a bunch of contained power. Power that needs to be released and controlled and used. By me. I mean, if I don't use it, who will? I just... don't want to think about it right now.

I don't want to think about what happened back there either. It makes this all too real. There was a huge wave of water from out of nowhere, at Gwen's command. Flames shot out of hands. Richard's hands. These people can actually control nature itself. It's unbelievable. And there are monsters too. Ugly, murderous monsters that are after us. I saw everything, and now it's all too real to believe that it's fake. I look up and ahead of me to try and see the end of the tunnel, but there's no light ahead of us. It's getting too steep. And much colder.

"Whoa." My foot gets caught in the ground, and there's a moment where I feel like time is frozen. My hands are out at my sides, waving in crazy circles to try and help me find my balance, but it's no use. I would scream, after all, I'm leaning forward and about to fall on my face. But instead of being tossed forward, my foot sinks even deeper into the ground, and my whole body follows it.

"Ah!" I throw out my hands and grab onto what I can, slapping my hands down on the ground that I had just been walking on. I try to keep myself in the tunnel, holding on as tightly as I can as my body slips into the large crack that just formed. Why did the ground have to be so wet? For a moment I think I'll be able to pull myself back up but it's like invisible hands are grabbing at me, pulling me downward.

"Steve!" I yell. He was walking by me, right? Where is he? "Help!" My screams are desperate as I try to keep a firm grip on what is left of the ground. I try to swing my legs up to the side, but this hole isn't large enough to allow that, nothing works.

"Hold on!" I hear someone above me, but that's it. Then I'm falling. I'm falling fast. Faster and faster. It scares me, but it's not completely dark in here. Even as I'm falling I can see the lit cavern around me, the beautiful rocky stalactites and stalagmites. The only problem is that the ground is littered with stalagmites and I'm falling right towards them. It's a deathtrap. The rocky spikes are the only thing that will break my fall. And all I can do is watch as they get closer and closer.

I scream, yelling with everything I have as the wind rushes around me. My screams are echoing back to me, bouncing off the walls and sealing my fate. This is how I die. My blood splattered all over the ground of a cavern nobody knew existed. My screams still echoing even once I've been impaled and my body is dead on the floor. I shut my eyes, reaching my arms up and letting my clothes and hair flutter in the wind. There's nothing else I can do.

"Lily!" An arm wraps around my waist, and my eyes fly open. My hair isn't flying above my head anymore and my eyes aren't tearing up from the rush of wind. I'm not falling to my death. Instead, I'm looking straight into the eyes of the boy who just saved my life.

"Steve?"

"You sound surprised." I laugh. I am surprised. Just a second ago I thought I was going to die. I look Steve in the eyes, trying not to pay attention to the way his brown hair is swept across the front of his forehead. I feel like I just want to run my hands through it, to see how soft the waves are. His brown eyes are focused fully on me, and is just me or are his cheeks starting to turn pink? I know mine are.