For lifetime and beyond

"Mil jaaye iss tarah,
Do leherein jis tarah,
Phir ho naa judaa,
Haan yeh vaada rha"

____________

Khwahish

I haven't been so nervous in my entire life as I am on my wedding day. Excited, yet nervous. I am ready from head to toe, my makeup and hair is already done since an hour and now I just have to sit back and wait for my beloved groom, my sweet Armaan, to arrive at the wedding venue with his friends and family. As soon as my thoughts race towards Armaan, a wide smile graces my face. He is the embodiment of everything I have ever wanted in my life partner.

He's so caring and understanding, I sometimes don't even have to tell him what I feel because he already knows, since he pays attention to my actions. He's adorably sweet, especially with kids. And he's romantic, of course, and God, he's so very handsome, he takes my breath away. He even backs my decision to continue supporting my family financially after the wedding. He's just so damn perfect, I have to pinch myself to remember he's real, his presence in my life is totally dreamy and unbelievable.

I sometimes wonder how I got so lucky, to have found someone like him so easily. How can somebody be so insanely perfect for someone else? I guess God works in some really mysterious ways.

The last few days have been a total roller coaster for me, both in terms of preparations and emotions. I thought I was ready for this new life, but now, not so much maybe. It's just too overwhelming, the pace at which my life is turning around completely. A new life, a new home, a new family, even a new last name.

My only solace in this turmoil is Armaan. As long as I have him, I think I'll be alright.

______

"You look.... just wow," Armaan whispers in my ear with a sigh, as I approach him and he takes my hand and helps me sit down comfortably at the mandap. I mentally slap myself for how furiously I am blushing, and how dumbstruck I am, that I can't even find words to reciprocate the feeling. He looks breathtakingly handsome in the golden and maroon sherwani that matches perfectly with my wedding lehenga.

The pandit, the priest officiating our wedding begins chanting the mantras that wil bind us together for lifetime and beyond. Our rose adorned garlands are exchanged with hearty chuckles and teasings from both the families. Soon after, our hands are adjoined in sweet, simple symbolic ceremonies, and when we are finally tied together in the matrimonial knot known as gathbandhan, an overwhelming wave of mixed emotions washes over me. But the joy of being tied in a lifelong alliance with Armaan is easily overshadowed by the anxiety of the new life it brings and the pain of leaving my family and my old life behind.

With the next few minutes and next few ceremonies, my life will change forever and as thrilling as that feels, the feeling of unpreparedness for the new life and the unpredictability of the future it brings, makes my nerves go haywire.

As I mentally fight myself to enjoy the moment at hand and not become a sentimental, crying bride, I find Armaan's hand gently squeezing mine in silent reassurance. I look up at him to notice a sad, almost guilty smile on his face, and I cannot help but wonder how this man manages to understand me so well that he doesn't even need my words to know I need his support and reassurance.

It's amazing how he knows what I feel, and even if he doesn't, he pays enough attention to notice I don't feel as happy as I should in this moment. I feel like a wreck and this amazing man is my anchor, who would never let me sink in the ocean of my own turmoil. He will always be by my side, loving me, caring for me and supporting me, through whatever hell life throws at me in future.

A content smile spreads on my face at the realization, and I find a mirroring smile on his handsome face soon after.

The pandit requests us to stand for our saat pheras, the seven vows we'll exchange as we circle around agni, the holy fire that will witness the union of our souls in sacred matrimony.

With each phera, each vow we take together around the holy fire, we submit ourselves to each other and accept each other as life partners, to love and care for each other until death parts us

After the seven vows are dutifully taken, the priest continues the ceremonies. Then, Armaan ties a beautiful diamond studded mangalsutra around my neck, a black beaded necklace symbolic of the beginning of our new relationship. With a pinch of red vermilion added to the middle of my forehead, our wedding ceremony is marked complete.

I sigh in content as I realize the beautiful man next to me is officially my husband and I am his newly wedded wife.

We proceed to take blessings from our elders in both families and receive best wishes from friends and relatives. Soon after, a celebration kicks off and guests begin to dine and dance to grace the occasion of our wedding day.

______

A/N: Sorry about the really short update, but this wedding chapter was giving me a huge writer's block, so I just decided to get it over with. I might revisit it later and add a few before and after ceremonies maybe.

Please vote and comment to show your support. I really appreciate it.