Pouring my heart

"O mere dil ke chain..
Chain aaye mere dil ko dua kijiye"

______

Khwahish

"Hey beautiful, did you hear the good news?"

My heart leaps in my chest as I re-read Armaan's message for the tenth time, before finally finding the courage to reply.

"Hey handsome, what good news?"

I twist and turn in my bed as I await his response. It's already past 11pm, therefore my mom and granny have retired to their rooms. And, my sister already left for her home with her husband after the arranged meeting two days ago.

My phone lights up again.

"The date is finalized. We're getting engaged in a week."

I squeak and jump from my bed in excitement! Engagement?! To Armaan! Wow!!!

I sigh dreamily. He is so charming, and so handsome. How did I get so lucky?

Then it suddenly dawns on me.

Oh dear God, one week?! Isn't that too soon? I hardly know him!

I mean yes, I am insanely attracted to him and I have been chatting with him non-stop since the night we met. Even borderline flirting. But this isn't one of those stupid relationship things my friends hop in and out of every few weeks. This is about my whole freaking life and who am I going to spend it with.

My phone lights up again.

"I am going to be optimistic here and hope you fainted with happiness ;)"

I chuckle and then sigh again. Why does he have to be so charming?

But, what do I do now? Can I do anything at all? Is he the right guy for me? Did I make the right choice by saying yes? My family really loves him though, and his family seems super nice too.

Maybe I am overthinking this. Yep, definitely overthinking. I should stop overthinking so much, else I am going to explode with all this overthinking.

Wow, now I am even overthinking my overthinking too. I groan and mentally facepalm myself.

My phone lights up again. But this time, it isn't a message.

"Armaan Calling"

My heart skips a beat as my fingers fumble with the swipe motion on the green button.

"Khwahish...", his deep voice whispers my name, raising goosebumps all over my ear, spreading to my neck and shoulders, down my spine. My name feels like a compliment in his silken voice. I can't help but notice a slight worried tone behind it though.

"Armaan..," I manage to utter and hear him sighing with relief on the other end.

"Is everything okay Khwahish?," he asks with an impatient curiousness and I feel myself spiralling again.

What the hell do I tell him? I should be honest with him right? But what if he doesn't understand? What if he gets offended?

"Talk to me, Khwahish. What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?," he says lovingly and I find myself melting at his concern.

"I, umm," I sigh again, then muster more courage as I say, "I guess I am just freaking out, Armaan. Isn't one week too soon? We just met once and we don't even know each other so well."

I pour out my worries to him, but he goes silent. If it weren't for the sound of his staggered breathing, I'd think the line got disconnected.

Suddenly, he speaks again.