Chapter 10: Hot and Cold

Today I go for a hot Quiche Lorraine for my breakfast treat at 'Maison Parisienne'

"You have a bright future in academia," says Jaque. "Your interview was the best one. I haven't heard so many accolades for a dissertation as your professors at l'Université de Bretagne-Loire gave yours. Singing praises is unlike them. It's a sign." This meeting is his attempt to sway me into accepting the Assistant Professors position at UChicago.

"But the base salary the Marketing Research firm is offering me is more, and they have bonuses. I may end up making twice as much there." I sip my hot cafe au lait. Money talks make my skin itch, and I push down the impulse to get up and leave.

"I understand. I do. Truly.  I've dedicated my entire life to Anrtopology, and it will get better. The opportunities to get additional income will come. Maybe, for now, the money is less but it's a decent salary, and you can follow your passion. You can continue the research, move from the historical to the modern-day impacts. The whole department will be eager to support you." Jaque's voice losses its soft, whispery quality, and the couple at the table next to ours glares at us.

"Quite a lot less," I whisper back. "On top of that, they want me to start as soon as my background check clears, which is in as little as a week."

"Spending time with Sarah before she moves, and before the fall semester begins isn't only for the department's sake. It's in your best interests."

My quiche is getting cold as our conversation heats up.

"I agree, but you must see how disruptive this is. I was supposed to fly back home, pack my cottage, say proper good-byes, and then come back here to an apartment and with things I need, not a single suitcase."

"Think of this as an adventure. You're young—"

"I'm thirty—"

"So very young. In the prime of your life. Enjoy it. Follow your heart. Follow your passion. Live to the fullest. Don't sell your soul for a bigger apartment or a fancier car. That's the advice I can give you after seventy years on this earth."

"At this point, an apartment and a car of my own would be nice. I might need to find a roommate. Not something I've ever considered doing again at this age." I snicker, then sober up.

"Can't you stay with your friend for a while longer?."

"Oh, no. Five adults and a baby in a cramped two-bedroom apartment is a nightmare. And Kora cries most of the night. I need to move out, and I can't seem to find a place I both like and can afford. I'm afraid I'm setting myself up for failure."

"The commercial sector will snatch you up if you apply next year. It's your time to explore—you'll never know if you don't try. And you get to teach."

"Teaching has become another passion of mine." I pretend I'm undecided.

"You see, the only thing you like in the marketing research job is the money. You'll be working on whatever problem the clients are looking to solve. You won't have any say in it."