Chapter 14: Fight or Flight

Did I make a mistake by not interfering with Mike's rant? My history of running away from conflict isn't lost on me

Did I make a mistake by not interfering with Mike's rant? My history of running away from conflict isn't lost on me. I'd be a terrible soldier: the fight or flight reflex, in my case is always flight. I had no stake in Mike's conflict with his in-laws, but I didn't want to be the next one to get kicked out, and interfering might've led me straight into that trap. So I ran.

"D'you mind if I call Ben?" I ask Tall. "He found out Mike flew off the handle."

"Tell me about that. Gossip is better than eclairs."

"I'm trying to pretend you didn't just say that. I'll be right back."

"No-no, stay here. They don't like people using cell-phones in the hallway. It disturbs the residents."

The glint in Tall's eyes betrays his desire to eavesdrop, but I don't get a chance to contradict him because an incoming video call from Ben pops onto my screen.

"I couldn't wait any longer." Ben's pacing in a room in front of a floor-to-ceiling window.

"Sorry, was explaining to Tall here."

"You're on speakerphone." Tall waves me over to the head of his bed. I sit on its edge and center the phone, so we can both see Ben.

"How's New York treating you?" Tall looks at Ben's image on the screen in my hand.

"No small talk, please. I don't have much time. I need Amelie to help Mike and Angie work through their current crisis."

"Can't they talk to each other?" Mike's a bit of a mystery to me, and Angie can be, ok, is impulsive and emotional, but this can't be more than a lover's spat.

"In most circumstances, but I don't think it's the case at this point. You'll mediate. Don't let them point fingers or assign blame. Focus on them expressing their views of the problem without the other one interrupting. Don't let them leave until they agree on what they'll do to work things out."

"You sound like my therapist." Except in English. My therapist only spoke French.

"I'm nothing of the sort, but the first time I got stuck in the middle of their argument, it freaked me out. Basic research into mediation prepared me for the next one. They're consistent in their bouts of fights and reconciliation."

"Not sure I'm the best person for this. Can't it wait until you're back?"

"Just go there and make them talk to each other, my girl." Tall's hand lands on my shoulder. 

"Ben's overcomplicating things. And you've got nothing to lose: you have a place to stay now."

"You found an apartment?" Ben stops pacing, to the relief of my head, which is starting to get woozy.

"We've reached a deal," says Tall. "She's going to housesit for me, come visit me a lot, bring me eclairs, and I promise to get out of bed once in a while."