Hug Analysis

You find out why Donnie seems to be avoiding you and your hugs.

-

It was another sunny day in New York City; a perfect day to meet your favourite mutants and one certain purple clad nerd.

"Hey guys!" you greet everyone as you enter the lair.

The turtle brothers all greet you enthusiastically and you give each one of them a giant hug.

All except Donnie.

"Hey Don!" you wave to him from a distance.

He returns the wave stiffly before quickly retreating to his lab.

You sigh sadly.

"What's the matter?" Mikey asks you.

"Does Donnie hate me or something?"

"What? No way!" Mikey denies.

"In fact it's probably the exact opposite," Leo sneers and Raph nudges him in the side.

Raph shoots Leo a look, as if he said something wrong, then turns to you. "What makes you say that?"

"He always holes himself up in his lab whenever I come over to hang out."

"Really?" Mikey wonders, seemingly unconvinced.

"Yeah, lately he seems uncomfortable whenever I touch him. Now it's like he's afraid to even come near me."

"C'mon, you're exaggerating," Leo insists.

"No, really! I swear! Once I tapped his shoulder, and he flinched then jumped away."

Leo whispers something to Raph. Raph tries to shush him but the two end up snickering incessantly to each other trying not to laugh.

"I'm sure he doesn't feel that way, just talk to him!" Mikey suggests, pushing you to his lab.

"No, no, no! No way! He'll hate me for sure if I go in there!"

"It'll be fine, trust us!" Leo reassures.

"You could always blame it on us if he gets mad," Raph tells you.

For some reason they're all grinning widely at you as if they're all in on the same joke.

~

While approaching the lab cautiously, you can hear Donnie thinking out loud in hushed utterances. You peek around the corner and see him hunched over his desk scribbling something.

You quietly step closer to him, not wanting to disturb him at work.

He groans loudly in frustration. He crumples up something and throws it to the ever growing pile of discarded paper on the floor around him. He buries his face in his hands and sighs.

You were already standing directly behind his chair but couldn't figure out what to say.

He suddenly leans back in his chair and tilts his head back far enough to come face-to-face with you.

"AH!" he yelps in surprise, not expecting to stare into your eyes.

In his startled panic, Donnie throws himself against his desk and off his chair. Once again, you witness him recoiling just from being near you, and you feel a sting in your heart.