「 goodbye, mother.」

chapter fourteen

goodbye, mother.

I cried endlessly when you died but I promise, I won't let the tears mar the smiles that you've given me when you were alive

   A NIGHT HAD passed and Marlene had settled into the guest room after Annabeth had refused to let her leave, stating that she had nowhere but the streets to go to. For once, the blonde had the utmost respect for her stepmother. Plus, Annabeth had not been on her back since Marlene had arrived and family life had been quite pleasant, for once. No restrictions, no stress, no pestering. It was how she wished every day went but all good things have an ending. Nevertheless, she wasn't going to transfix on that motion and live with what she had because it would be tone before you know it.

   The snow hadn't been given the chance to melt this month with the icy layers building up each day. Many roads had been blocked off, doors had been frozen shut, lakes were blocks of ice, trees branches were snapping under the weight of their icy blankets, and life as people knew it was slowly coming to a halt as businesses had to close earlier and open later. There was a sense of tranquillity across the village in the early hours of the morning.

   The day had started with Eleanor practising her routine, in the spare room that Annabeth had turned into a studio, whilst Marlene slept. They had arranged to go out with Lily and the boys to go skating on the lake near the girls' houses. Delilah was expected any time soon. She got out and changed into the jeans and turtle neck that she wore to detention with Sirius. It would keep her warm, that was the important part. Throwing on a pair of trainers, she fished her skates out of her wardrobe and got a spare pair for Marlene.

   As she returned to her room, there was a slight rumble and the fireplace began to expand before a girl appeared with skates dangling around her neck and a bright smile. Her tight curls had been constricted into a bun with a few wild curls sticking out here and there.  The bags under her eyes were dark and was wrapped up in multiple layers. Behind her tights, there were multiple light bruises and she seemed to be using the wall to prop herself up. Eleanor ran over, pulling the girl into a tight hug and she almost knocked her over in the process. When she retreated, the first thing she noticed was the girl's icy touch.

   "Delilah, your absolutely freezing!" She expressed in slight shock. It was like she had touched a corpse, with her skin becoming ashy and the bones starting to surface on the medium-sized girl. She just shook her head and smiled.

   "It's winter, El." The girl expressed, placing the skates down. "Where's Marlene? Has she arrived yet?" Delilah moved the conversation on, scanning the unfamiliar room. None of them, except Lily, had been to her house before and only knew where it was because she pointed it out when she visited them at Lily's.