Chapter 20: Jill returns, Sidelined dancer

Monday dawned with the usual buzz at Abby Lee Dance Company. Studio A was alive with chatter as the moms and girls gathered, ready to dive into the details of the upcoming competition. Abby and Cameron stood at the front, preparing to address the group.

"All right, let's talk about what's happening this week. We'll be headed to--" Abby's sentence was cut short when the studio door swung open with a decisive creak. Heads turned as Jill walked in, her once-dark hair now a surprising shade of blonde.

"Hi, everyone," Jill greeted cheerfully, her voice echoing through the room.

Abby and Sebastian exchanged glances of astonishment. Sebastian, always quick with a quip, couldn't resist. "Mom, it's obvious that Jill's hair is lighter, but she's definitely not a lighter person."

The room erupted in suppressed laughter as Abby clapped her hands for attention. "Really?! The only fat person here is your mother!" Jill shot back, her voice sharp but with an edge of humor.

"Hey! My mom may be big, but at least she can work it!" Sebastian retorted defensively.

"You know it," Abby agreed, giving Sebastian a high-five.

Jill, unfazed by the banter, walked straight up to Abby. "Abby, can I talk to you?"

Abby raised an eyebrow. "Jill, we're in the middle of rehearsal. We've got a competition this weekend."

Jill's expression was earnest. "I made a mistake going to Candy Apples. It was a mistake, and I'd really like for you to find a spot for My Little Kendall on the team like you did before."

Sebastian shook his head in disbelief. "Jill's gone off the rails."

"Yeah," Abby agreed, looking at Jill with a mixture of skepticism and irritation. "Jill, we're in the middle of rehearsal. You know how this works."

Jill's persistence was unwavering. "Me and My Little Kendall want to be here with you. Kendall can fit right in with this group. She did it before, and she can do it again."

Abby's patience was wearing thin. "Are you nuts?! I wanted what was best for Kendall, and you didn't even give me time to do that!"

Jill's voice grew more insistent. "Abby, are you going to turn my kid away because of a mistake? You know she has talent and belongs in this group!"

"Jill, we're in the middle of rehearsal!" Sebastian interjected, his frustration evident. "Mom, we cannot believe this!"

"I know, right?" Abby muttered, shaking her head as Jill left the room briefly. She returned with Kendall in tow and a framed headshot of her daughter. Jill walked Kendall over to the girls, who greeted her with warm hugs. Jill stood next to Melissa, while Sebastian handed Abby his airhorn. Abby blared it, cutting through the clamor.

"Girls! This is not about friends; this is my business! If you want to see Kendall, then invite her to your place!"

Jill's eyes widened as she tried to intervene. "Can you find it in your heart—"

"Jill!" Abby cut her off sharply. "I'll be glad to talk to you at a later date."

"All right," Jill conceded reluctantly.

Abby then refocused on the group. "Where were we? Oh right, we'll be going to Starpower in Skokie this weekend. It's not far, but it's still a big competition with many competitors from New York and New Jersey."

The pyramid ceremony followed, setting the stage for the week's assignments. "For the solos, they'll go to Nia, Paige, and Maddie. Also, for the group routine, it will be Chloe, Maddie, Brooke, and a boy."

The girls cheered enthusiastically, and Abby whistled sharply. A 14-year-old boy named Nick Dobbs, who was part of Abby's teen team, stepped in. The girls and moms greeted him with hugs, and Sebastian high-fived him.

With the new lineup set, rehearsals began. The moms went upstairs to observe as Abby dismissed them.

As Jill lingered in the background, the other moms approached her.

"We like your hair," Holly remarked with a smile.

"It kinda looks cute on you," Kelly added.

"We thought it was Cathy at first when you walked in," Melissa joked.

"It is!" Christi laughed.

Jill was clearly irritated. "Abby didn't even put My Little Kendall's photo on the pyramid. I think she should have!"

Kelly shook her head. "Jill, did you seriously think that coming back through the door and insisting Abby put Kendall's photo on the pyramid would work out for you? Well, it didn't!"

"At least Kendall's dancing. That may be a good sign," Holly said, trying to remain positive as Paige practiced her solo.

Sebastian watched Jill closely. "Mom, is it me, or does Kendall have a white bow in her hair?"

"I see it too," Abby said, glancing over. She approached Kendall. "Kendall, who gave you that bow?"

"Mom did. She put it in my hair," Kendall replied innocently.

"Here's some advice," Abby said firmly. "Kids should not take things that don't belong to them. They should only take things that belong to them, and to do that, they've got to put their name on it."

"She didn't take it!" Jill snapped. "Melissa had bows for everyone. I picked one up and put it in Kendall's hair!"

"Here's the thing," Sebastian said. "Mel doesn't own the studio. My mom does."

"Are you accusing me of taking a bow that's worth two bucks?!" Jill's frustration was evident.

"I saw you do it," Sebastian stated matter-of-factly. Jill had no response.

"Everyone's had their hair done, and none of them have a bow. You've wasted a lot of our time, and we don't have time for it!" Abby said sharply. She turned to Brooke and Paige. "Brooke, I want to see your standing back tuck."

"I'll do mine next," Paige said, but Sebastian interrupted.

"Paige, a little warning—doing that might be risky. There's cement under the carpeting. You know how things are built," he advised.

"Just this once?" Paige begged.

"All right, but don't say Abby and Sebastian warned you," Kelly said.

Paige attempted the back tuck, but as she landed, a loud cracking sound filled the room. Paige winced and limped to a chair next to Kelly, clearly in pain.

"Paige, can you curl your toes?" Abby asked, concern in her voice.

"I came down hard," Paige admitted, her face pale. Abby quickly relayed the news that Paige wouldn't be participating in the group dance due to her injury. The group would now consist of Brooke, Chloe, Maddie, and Nick. Mackenzie, Nia, and Kendall were out.

Kelly took Paige to the hospital while the remaining dancers prepared for their routine. Chloe, Maddie, Brooke, and Nick performed their group dance, earning first place. For the solos, Maddie secured first, Paige landed in sixth, and Nia finished in ninth.

The competition was intense, but the team's performance solidified their place as top contenders, even amidst the drama and unexpected challenges.