Chapter 17: Enjoying the day

It was March 14, and Chicago was unusually warm for this time of year, with temperatures reaching 80 degrees. This unexpected warmth surprised Abby, Sebastian, and many other locals. Abby decided it was the perfect opportunity to visit the Museum of Science & Industry, especially since she had passes.

At precisely 12:59 PM, Abby and Sebastian stepped off the 6 Jackson Park Express CTA Bus at Hyde Park Boulevard and 56th Street. They walked the short distance across the street to the museum entrance, conveniently located just a few feet from the 10 Museum Science & Industry and 55 Garfield bus stop. With a quick flash of their passes, they entered the bustling museum.

"Where do you want to go first?" Abby asked her son, her voice filled with anticipation.

"How about the ToyMaker 3000: An Adventure in Automation?" Sebastian suggested, his eyes sparkling with excitement. "It's on the main level."

"Sounds great," Abby agreed, guiding Sebastian toward the escalator.

They ascended to the Main Level, which was the second floor, and made their way to the ToyMaker 3000 exhibit. This particular exhibit featured an automated assembly line that created Gravitron tops.

"I've always wanted to bring you here," Abby said as they approached the exhibit, her voice tinged with nostalgia. "But I never got the chance because of that storm two weeks after you were born. Samantha mentioned she took you here a lot. Since we've reunited, I've been looking forward to this."

"Me too," Sebastian replied, admiring the display. He suddenly spotted Chloe and Christi nearby. "Look who we've got here."

Chloe and Christi turned to see Abby and Sebastian approaching.

"Hey, Miss Abby! Hey, Seb," Chloe greeted them with a friendly wave.

"Hi there!" Christi added with a warm smile.

"Hello, Christi. Hello, Chloe," Abby responded, returning their smiles. "What brings you to the museum today?"

"Just came to check out the exhibits," Christi said, her eyes wandering over the various displays.

"Same here," Sebastian said.

Chloe eyed the automated assembly line with curiosity. "What does 'scan' mean?"

"Chloe, when you scan your Museum of Science & Industry card," Sebastian explained, "it makes a Gravitron toy top with your name on it. You can choose the color you like and watch it being made."

"You really know your stuff," Christi commented, impressed.

"Why don't you give it a try, Chloe?" Abby suggested.

"Okay, I will," Chloe agreed, stepping up to the scanning station. She scanned her card, and the assembly line sprang to life. Within five minutes, Chloe had her very own green Gravitron top, which she retrieved from the end of the line. "That's so cool!"

"It really is," Sebastian agreed, beaming.

"Chloe, here's a fun fact about the museum," Sebastian said, leaning in slightly. "There are four sets of stairs here, colored Red, Yellow, Green, and Blue. The Red stairs even have an elevator in the middle."

"Interesting," Chloe remarked, intrigued.

"Yeah," Sebastian said, nodding.

Next, Sebastian scanned his own card, and an orange Gravitron top was soon created for him. "I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I've been collecting these. Samantha started the collection the day after Mom and I reunited."

"Cool," Christi said, clearly impressed.

"How about we check out the Transportation Exhibit next?" Christi suggested, her enthusiasm evident.

"Sure!" Sebastian agreed eagerly.

The group made their way to the red stairs, taking the elevator to the third level. The Transportation Exhibit greeted them with an impressive display: a steam locomotive, several planes, and a Boeing 727 once flown by United Airlines.

"Did you know that the 727 was part of the United Airlines fleet?" Sebastian shared, his knowledge evident. "When it was retired, it was donated to the Museum of Science & Industry in late 1993."

"That's a cool fact," Chloe said, nodding appreciatively.

"Question for you, Sebastian," Christi said, her curiosity piqued. "Have you ever flown in a 747, also known as the Queen of the Skies or the Jumbo Jet?"

"No, I haven't," Sebastian answered.

"I've flown in one a few times," Abby said, sharing her experience. They spent time exploring the 727, then headed back down to the lower level.

Their next stop was the Swiss Jolly Ball exhibit. It featured a playful Swiss Jolly Ball roaming around a model of the Swiss countryside. They watched it for a while, enjoying its whimsical movements.

A few hours later, with the sun starting to dip lower in the sky, they decided it was time to head home. Abby, Sebastian, Chloe, and Christi made their way back to their respective condos, the day's adventures leaving them all with smiles and fond memories.