Chapter 23: Recital Time, Season Conclusion

Monday arrived with its usual hustle and bustle at the Abby Lee Dance Company studio. The pyramid was up, but instead of the anticipated excitement, there was an air of uncertainty. Jill was particularly agitated, her frustration simmering over the lack of Kendall's name on the pyramid.

"Jill, here's a fact," Abby snapped, her patience wearing thin. "Kendall is here because she is replacing Paige. The minute Paige is ready to dance, Kendall is out."

Jill's face flushed with anger. "You could have told me that three weeks ago, Abby!" she exclaimed. Kendall, clearly distressed, was surrounded by her friends, who were offering her comfort.

"She wins every routine you put her in, but you still won't put her on the team! Kendall, I'm so sorry for putting you through this," Jill continued, her voice rising.

"Seriously, Jill?" Abby shot back. "Kendall came to the competition last weekend and won a duet. At least she's learned something and was fabulous while doing it!"

"My little Kendall's a winner, but you still won't put her on the team!" Jill persisted, her frustration palpable.

"Jill, in my mom's studio, being on the team is about commitment," Sebastian interjected, trying to mediate. He turned to Kendall. "Kendall, your mother needs to understand that commitment is crucial, and jumping ship at the drop of a hat isn't helping anyone. Got it?"

"Yes," Kendall said quietly, her voice betraying her disappointment.

"Mom, continue," Sebastian urged Abby, stepping back to let her take control.

"Thanks, Seb," Abby said, clearing her throat. "We don't want any altercations, tears, or shouting. This is a huge week for us, as we're preparing for the 2012 Abby Lee Dance Company concert."

The room fell silent. Abby's announcement was met with a mix of anticipation and nervousness.

"It's not a competition, but it's just as important," Abby continued. "This will be Sebastian's first time seeing how the ALDC concert works, so I need all of you to help him out. We'll be performing a hip hop routine called 'Light My Fire.' And Paige, even though it's been weeks, we believe you're capable of being in the routine."

"Of course, she's got to get approved by the doctor first," Kelly interjected, her voice firm but concerned.

"True," Abby agreed. "But she'll keep the boot on, and we also have a duet called 'Lifting You to the Sky,' featuring Sebastian and Mackenzie."

The girls clapped enthusiastically as Sebastian and Mackenzie exchanged excited smiles.

"Kelly," Abby added, "since you're an original member of the ALDC, I'd like to see some of your former classmates at the showcase."

Kelly's face showed a mix of nostalgia and regret. "I haven't seen them in over twenty years."

"Well, we want them to see that the studio is still alive, healthy, and continuing to educate kids," Abby explained. "And one more thing: one dancer from each age level will receive a generous cash scholarship."

The moms nodded in approval and started heading upstairs to watch the rehearsals.

"My daughters don't like hip hop," Kelly remarked as they climbed the stairs.

"How can you say that if they've never tried it?" Jill questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"I'll admit, Paige is pretty funny when she does hip hop," Holly said with a chuckle as they watched Paige's playful attempts at the dance style.

"She's like a wet noodle out there," Christi added, laughing.

"Kelly, have you asked who will be coming to the recital?" Christi inquired, referencing some of the alumni Kelly danced with.