Chapter 9: Seperated

Jasmine woke up feeling like her skin was on fire and her head was pounding. She slowly sat up, wringing her hands together to stop them from shaking.

She looked around the dark room, trying to ground herself. The only thing she could hear was the sound of Anthony and Star's breathing and even though that sound calmed her, it wasn't enough.

She felt a wave of nausea wash over her and she squeezed her hands together so tightly that tears started to fall. Once she felt like she wasn't going to pass out, she slowly stood up and almost immediately had to sit down again.

The wave of nausea and dizziness seemed to be too much for her and when she looked up at Star's peaceful face, she almost started crying again. She looked so content and Jasmine just wished that she felt content and peaceful too.

She finally pushed her up again and slowly stumbled to the bathroom, sinking down onto the cool tile. She started to quietly cry, just wishing this feeling was over.

Anthony woke up to soft, almost silent, crying and initially thought it was Star. It was only when he noticed Jasmine wasn't next to him, that he realized it was coming from the bathroom.

He got up and went to the bathroom, noticing her on the floor.

"Baby, baby, what's wrong?" he asked, going to sit down with her.

"No, no, don't touch me," she said and he stepped back, feeling confused.

"Jas, what's going on?" he asked, leaning against the frame.

"I think I have a fever," she said, looking up at him with big eyes.

"Oh baby..." he responded. "Do you need anything?"

"Take Star into the nursery, I can't be around her. I don't want her to get sick. And that means I can't be around you either," she told him.

Jasmine noticed the confused look on his face and continued, "I can't take care of her, which just leaves you. An' I don't want to risk her getting sick at all which means I don't want to interact with you. I'll just sleep on the couch in the studio too."

"No, no, no baby," he said. "You stay in here and I'll sleep in the studio. You need rest and it'll be easier for you to rest in here. Plus, it'll be better if you stay in one place."

She nodded and buried her face in her hands. "You need anything Jas?" he asked. "Some water or something?"

"Some medicine would be fine," she mumbled.

He left the bathroom and carefully moved Star's crib out of their room. She shifted a bit and whimpered a bit, but stayed asleep. He brushed his thumb over her cheek and leaned down to kiss her forehead, then went downstairs to get her a glass of water.

He brought it upstairs with some medicine and set them on the nightstand, going back to the bathroom.

"You need anything else baby?" he asked.

She shook her and slowly pushed herself up, gripping onto the counter top so she wouldn't pass out. She slowly made her way back to their bed, taking the medicine and curling up in bed.

"Alright, I'm gonna go get some sleep in the studio now, Jas" he said and she nodded, curling up tighter under the covers. It felt weird not being able to kiss her forehead or brush his thumb over her cheek, knowing those little acts of love always made her feel better.

He left the room, closing the door part way and going into the nursery to check on Star. She had her blanket clutched in her hands, halfway covering her.

He brushed his thumb over her stomach and leaned down to kiss her cheek. She murmured something, shifting in her crib, then yawned and settled down. He went into the studio and laid down on the couch, pulling the blanket over him.