Wolf Rider Pt. 2

A tranquil wind blew through the long grass. It flicked Seth's hair across his face and it tickled his cheek. He cracked an eye open and squinted up at Reid, his best friend.

"What on earth are you doing way out here?" Reid cocked his head. His features were stark against the blinding sunlight.

"Thinking."

"Don't hurt yourself." Reid grinned like a dog grins, wide and silly looking. His nose short and perky and his face was overall inviting.

"Help me up." Seth scoffed. Reid offered him a hand, hauling him to his feet. Seth brushed dirt and grass off his back and straightened out his clothes. Seth had three and a half inches on Reid. Even so, he still felt small beside him.

"Your dad is looking for you." Reid said slowly. He shot Seth a sympathetic look, his overgrown eyes hit the light and looked like the rolling hills before them.

"What does he want?" Seth grumbled, not taking his eyes off the sky. The clouds rolled over them like they had no place to be anytime soon.

"Not sure, he just told me to find you." Reid shrugged. Seth pursed his lips. It had been six years already since his mother's death. Most of that night had faded with his terror, but he could still see the creature's eyes. They were hollow and brighter even than the firelight.

"Seth?" Reid patted his shoulder. "You okay?" Seth shook him off and started towards the tree line. "If he wants to talk to me, tell him to come find me himself." Reid sighed. He didn't make any moves to stop him. Instead he set out to find Seth's father. He'd grown accustomed to the long-winded task of playing the messenger.

****

"Seth, are you up there?" Mercer stood beneath an old maple tree. The bark was raised from elderly scars and the leaves were disheveled even in the peak of summer. Seth didn't glance down.

"I am."

"Come down. I want to talk with you."

"Come up." Seth picked at a rogue strip of bark.

"I'm not climbing all the way up there. Come down." Mercer said, his tone frustrated.

"Mom would have." Seth leaned back on the tree trunk. Mercer fell silent for a moment.

"That's not fair." His voice was gruff as ever, but it had a defeated edge to it. His sturdy features made him look like some kind of viking. By now, Mercer knew where the blame had landed.

"Seth, I couldn't have known." Mercer rubbed his forehead. Wrinkles were beginning to care their way deeper into his skin before their time.

"I begged you to stay home that night and you didn't even listen to me." Seth growled. This particular argument was almost habitual. "You can't make up for anything now." Seth lowered his voice. "This is the tree." Seth told him.

"What?"

"This is where she died." he gestured broadly. Mercer was quiet. Seth had to look down to make sure he was still there. His hulking form was motionless.

"We'll talk at home." He murmured. "Don't stay out too late, Seth." Seth listened to the crunching of leaves as he left. Alone again, Seth began to climb down. He wished Mercer wasn't his father. He hung onto the last branch, remembering the way the bark felt across his palms then. They were calloused now and ready for it. He let go and dropped to the ground. There was a rustling in the bushes that became louder. Leaves and sticks cracked. It made Seth's heart jump into his throat.

"Reid?" No reply. "Reid, you aren't funny." No reply. He watched the bushes shift and reached slowly back to his belt. Unsheathing his hunting knife, he held in front of him as Mercer taught him. A great wolf crashed through the underbrush, trembled and collapsed in front of him.