Everyone Was Dancing but Me

Venus shuffled through the muggy streets, his damaged clothes hung, soaked, off his malnourished frame. He fought to stay upright, reaching the entrance of an unfamiliar building.

"Hey." A voice barked. Venus twisted. His lifeless eyes found a towering man in a snug, black shirt. "Come back in a few years, kid." He scoffed, looking him up and down.

"Water?" Venus' voice choked. "Please?" The dark haired man paused.

"Wait here." He turned and started into the building, disappearing from sight. Venus watched him go, his heart vibrated in his chest like the roar of an exhausted engine. His body was dazed and trembling despite his efforts. His gnarled wrist hung off his arm.

His father, would pursue him and this time, it would be the end of him. He could never evade him for long, no matter where he went or who he asked for help. His head swam, trying to throw him off. It prevailed as he stumbled over his own feet and collapsed onto the sidewalk. 

"Hey kid, I got your water." The man in the black shirt stalled, taking in Venus' body on the cement. He set the cup of water down and went to him, slapping his cheek. "Hey, wake up." he clenched his jaw.

He glowered when Venus didn't stir. "Dammit." He studied the surrounding street and saw nothing. Cars roared by in the distance. The boy was out of place in the calamity of the city's nightlife. Was he a runaway? Running from what? He peeled the kid off the sidewalk, hooking his arms under his knees and his back.

"Not the strangest thing I've peeled off the sidewalk." he groaned, starting back to the building. The music violated his ears as the door swung open. 

* * * * 

Venus moaned. His eyes cracked open, trying to focus. Someone snapped in his face.

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty." a man's voice hit his ears, dark and bight, making his head ache. He winced. "There you are." He peered down at Venus, black hair framing a pair of startling sapphire eyes.

 "I was beginning to think you'd never get your happy ending." He placed a hefty hand over Venus' forehead.

"Where am I? Who are you?"

"Save the cliche questions." Dawn peeled his hand from Venus' forehead. "You're safe. My name is Dawn. That's all you need to worry about for now."

"Safe?"

"Safe. What are you, like six?" Dawn questioned.

"I'm twelve."

"Twelve then. What's your name?"

"My name?"

"What are you? A parrot? What's your name?"

"Venus."

"Well Venus, you've got a broken wrist. We can add fever to the list, but you'll be fine. I called a friend of mine, he's a doctor."

"I can't stay here. My dad's gonna find me no matter where I go."

"Suck it up. You won't feel like shit forever." The man's visage softened. Venus shining fir eyes watered. His beige skin was touched with a hint of rose.

"I'm gonna die." he breathed.

"Die?" Dawn scoffed. "You're not a princess, you're a drama queen." he rolled his eyes. "Don't be tense. Your injuries are far from life threatening." Venus respired.

"No, he'll find me."

"Your dad?" Dawn's eyebrows drew together, making his features look severe. "Did he do that to you?" Venus nodded.