13. Master Of Disguise

Sophia walked through the halls with her hand in Jake's. They both had bruised eyes and their faces hurt, but they just kept walking as if nothing had happened that morning. She saw a blurry Miranda running towards them. She wasn't wearing her glasses, because they broke, so everything was kind of fuzzy.

Miranda ran up to them and said, "Oh my god! Jake, what happened?!" She looked at Sophia and said, "Hi," coldly.

Jake said, "Nothing happened. I got hurt and so did Sophia. Maybe you could seem a little concerned for her sake, too. We're both fine. Now if you'll excuse us, we need to get to class."

They began walking away and halfway to their class, Sophia said, "You really blew her off back there. She didn't seem happy about it, either."

He said, "Sorry, but we're gonna be late. Don't you wanna see the grade for the collage?"

She said, "Well, yeah--"

"Well, come on!" He started running towards the classroom. She ran after him until they got to the door and almost fell over. They sat down and waited for the teacher to come so they could find out their grade.

They walked outside and Jake said, "Yeah, baby! We got an A! But not only an A, an A plus! Perfect! I am so proud of us."

Sophia laughed and said, "Same."

They kept walking until they got to her house.

She said, "Oh, you have to come in."

He lifted an eyebrow, "Have to?"

"If you don't want to explain this to your mom, yeah."

He said, "Okay," and walked inside with her. She pulled him into her room and he sat on her bed.

"Wait here." She went into her closet and kneeled on the floor. She grabbed out a black shoebox and put it on the bed next to him.

"What's this?"

She said, "This is my makeup kit. Throughout the years, I had to hide all of this from my mom. I would go to the store and get all kinds of stuff with the money my aunt would give me for my birthdays. Well, I collected all this stuff and kept practicing on myself. You know, to hide my bruises and stuff. And my mom didn't notice anything for years. So, I think I'm pretty good."

He smiled and said, "Well, show me what you got." She nodded and started pulling out foundations, concealers, and most importantly, brushes and sponges.

"Ready?"

He said, "Go ahead."

She lead him into the bathroom and said, "Okay. What do you think?" He looked at his unbruised face in the mirror.

"Wow. This is amazing. How'd you do this?"

"Lots and lots of makeup."

He smiled a little and said, "Well, it looks awesome."

"Thanks. I have to do mine now. But, can you do me a favor?"

"Sure."

She pointed as she said, "Can you go in that drawer and get me a pair of glasses?" He looked a little confused, but went anyway. She started covering up her bruises. She did it really fast. Practice does make perfect.

She was almost done when Jake said, "Whoa!"

She finished up as she said, "What?"

He came back with her glasses and said, "You have like, 20 pairs of glasses in there!"

While putting her stuff back in the box, she said, "Well, it's more like 15, but yeah. I have a whole bunch of the same kind for when they get broken. Like now."

"Wow. How many times have you had to replace them?"

She put her glasses on and said, "Well, I started out with like, 20 and it happened a few times before I got all of them. So, maybe about 7 times? Apparently, people really like stepping on other people's glasses."

"Wow. Well, is there anything you'd like to do to me before I leave?" He spread out his arms and turned completely around until he faced her again and put his arms back down. She looked at him and smiled. She went up and hugged him. He was a little surprised at first, but a few seconds later, he put his arms around her. She laughed softly and let go.

"I don't think there's anything else."

He smiled and said, "Well, then, I guess I'll get home." She nodded and walked him to the front door.

As he walked out, he said, "I'll see you tomorrow."

She said, "See you tomorrow." and shut the door.